Mass emailing

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

I want to inform the users of UltimateListView that a new version is available but they are a few hundreds and that's too much for the emailing solution that I use. Does anybody know a not-too-expensive service to send my emails? I want something very simple: you put all email addresses in a list, you write your message, you send. Nothing else.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Last edited:

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I wrote a Windows program a few years ago that allowed me to send emails to my customers in batches of 100 through my provider every hour or so. I can set it to send every x minutes in x number of batches until the job is done. I create an HTML page attach it to my program and my program reads it and sends it to my customers as an HTML email.

Maybe you should create yourself a little program that sits in the notification area of Windows processing email addresses and sending them every x minutes...

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
I wrote a Windows program a few years ago that allowed me to send emails to my customers in batches of 100 through my provider every hour or so. I can set it to send every x minutes in x number of batches until the job is done. I create an HTML page attach it to my program and my program reads it and sends it to my customers as an HTML email.

Your idea is good but it depends on the restrictions of your e-mail hoster (go daddy allows only for 250 ... stupid), or your internet provider, so may be a mix of the two solutions would be okey, a mass email provider with APi integration, and for that i remember mailgun.

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Mailchimp?
It reads 12000/mo mails to up to 2000 users for free..

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Informatix found a very elegant solution for his problem: "The next updates of the library won't be notified by email, so please check the first post of the UltimateListView thread to know if a new version is available .."

:D

EDIT: and cheap ...;)

Last edited:

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm using MailGun.com
10,000 mails/month for free with your own domain. They have libraries for PHP, JS, C#, Java... So far so good.

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I finally followed the advice of Peter Simpson and downloaded a software (e-spreader) that can send emails by batchs with a programmable delay between them. It's very slow of course but I don't have to register anywhere and pay anything. I tried most solutions above and I found them too complex for my needs or with too many limitations for a free account (I can't blame them for that). FastMail has a quick registration process and you can send emails after only a few minutes but it is not designed at all to send bulk emails (it's maybe possible with the business version but I didn't want to pay to try it).

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Informatix found a very elegant solution for his problem: "The next updates of the library won't be notified by email, so please check the first post of the UltimateListView thread to know if a new version is available .."

:D

EDIT: and cheap ...;)
When I send bulk emails, I have some of my emails returned for two reasons: either they are considered as spam or the email address is unknown. And even when they are delivered, some of them end in the spam folder where they won't be read. So, emails are not very reliable to inform users of a new version. That's why I decided to stop sending emails after this one. I will continue to provide support by email anyway (and only by email as it is not convenient to do that here).

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
When I send bulk emails, I have some of my emails returned for two reasons: either they are considered as spam or the email address is unknown. And even when they are delivered, some of them end in the spam folder where they won't be read. So, emails are not very reliable to inform users of a new version. That's why I decided to stop sending emails after this one. I will continue to provide support by email anyway (and only by email as it is not convenient to do that here).

I understand, actually I wanted to offer you just to post a new msg on the ULV thread and all people that have purchased it would be notified by b4x.com forum but I thought you prefer to keep it more personal by sending an email to all of your costumers...

btw. your post brought me some thoughts, i am getting some emails from my app users (about 5) every day, most of them are questions about the app (its a complex app, and even i have put a very detailed support pdf with screenshots and made a tutorial video, people just ask before they even opened it they don't like to read..)

and ALL mails are coming to my SPAM folder, and other very important mails but i don't know why all advertisement are in my INBOX... i think the email clients today are sh*** maybe we should think about a new notification method to users ...

i believe lot of people have the same problems like you and me...

i think its time to change the old email and bring something new to the market, a new method of notify people ... ;)

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
even i have put a very detailed support pdf with screenshots and made a tutorial video, people just ask before they even opened it they don't like to read..)

Exactly like for UltimateListView. ;)

and ALL mails are coming to my SPAM folder, and other very important mails but i don't know why all advertisement are in my INBOX...

You can configure most email applications to avoid that. You can use also an anti-spam software to get more settings. I use hotmail on the web and LiveMail on the PC which offer minimal settings and I almost never receive ads in the inbox or important emails in the spam folder.

i believe lot of people have the same problems like you and me...

i think its time to change the old email and bring something new to the market, a new method of notify people ... ;)
I'm not a "social" guy (no Facebook account, no Twitter account, a Google+ account never used, etc.) so I can't see what these social networks could provide as alternatives. Sending bulk SMS could be a solution but you need to know the phone number. You can easily get it with your app, I cannot get it at all for ULV without asking it, so I'm not sure we''re going to solve this problem with the same solution.

cimperia

Licensed User
Longtime User
If you setup a Gmail account you can send bulk emails. I used to send 400 mails at a time without issues. I'd think the facility still exists.