Android Question menu button in samsung tab10 android 8 lost?

MbedAndroid

Licensed User
Longtime User
normally on each device it's possible to use the menu button with Activity.AddMenuItem(.....
Samsung has his own thoughts and used in the past the recent menu button to display this special button. However on the tab10/android 8 model this is now used for splitscreen mode.

Is this function now obsolete with this model or is somewhere a trick to display this menu?
Searched already on the net , but found nothing.... only about the older models

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Use AppCompat in your App and use an Actionbar. Usually the items can be accessed this way.
Maybe i just do not understand the Question. I am using my Note 8 device (running Android 9) though. My menu appears correctly using AppCompat.

Upvote 0

MbedAndroid

Licensed User
Longtime User
i mean the 3 little dots which normally is found right up in the corner. You touch the dots and menu comes up.
samsung has his own idea's and surpress these 3 dots. In older devices it could be found in the recent menu somewhere, but this is now split screen function

Upvote 0

MbedAndroid

Licensed User
Longtime User
the menubutton in samsung disappears when the android 8 modification is inserted.
with the Addmenuitem inserted after the mod: no menubutton
B4X:
    'android 8 mod
   Dim rp As RuntimePermissions
   rp.CheckAndRequest(rp.PERMISSION_WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE)
   Wait For Activity_PermissionResult (Permission As String, rresult As Boolean)
   If rresult Then
       If File.IsDirectory(File.DirRootExternal,File.DirRootExternal &  filesb.DirectoryString) = False Then
           File.MakeDir(File.DirRootExternal, File.DirRootExternal &  filesb.DirectoryString)
       End If
   End If
Activity.AddMenuItem("....","...")
when the addmenuitem is inserted before the android 8 mod: Menubutton is back
B4X:
Activity.AddMenuItem("....","...")
    'android 8 mod
   Dim rp As RuntimePermissions
   rp.CheckAndRequest(rp.PERMISSION_WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE)
   Wait For Activity_PermissionResult (Permission As String, rresult As Boolean)
   If rresult Then
       If File.IsDirectory(File.DirRootExternal,File.DirRootExternal &  filesb.DirectoryString) = False Then
           File.MakeDir(File.DirRootExternal, File.DirRootExternal &  filesb.DirectoryString)
       End If
   End If

Upvote 0

MbedAndroid

Licensed User
Longtime User
both codes (android mod and AddMenuItem) are in Activity_Create. But it explains that AddMenuItem has be inserted before the android 8 modification, as there is a Wait....

Upvote 0