MS Visual Studio

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My PC is not the best, 3 or 4 years old, Pentium i5, 8 Gb RAM, 1 Tb HD.

Also there are installed at least three versions of VS, but...

Today I've opened one of them... well, awaiting the opening of the Environment I could go to the beach, swimming, sunbathe for a couple of hours, go to the restaurant and on my return I might have found the Environment ready.

I'm not asking for suggestions on how to speed this thing; I am saying that I am too old to wait for VS opening :p

Last edited:

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I know you didn't ask for suggestions :p

But i love to use the big hammer once a year: backup everything and make a clean windows install :cool:

In fact, it was just to say how much it has become heavy VS. This also is a good reason to use B4J ;)

However, if you want to suggest the best way to do a new clean installation of Windows... I have never had enough patience (and then I never understood - never read that right - how to get it without having the installation disk - OEM stuff)

An Schi

Licensed User
In short:
- save your needed hardware drivers to usb
- backup the stuff you need
- know your windows key (there is a sticker on the back of yor pc)
- download your windows version from the microsoft homepage
- burn this image to a dvd
- reboot your pc and and install

charlesg

Licensed User
Longtime User
But i love to use the big hammer once a year: backup everything and make a clean windows install

Sheer cheek from Microsoft. What kind of operating system needs to be re-installed every year? I have a Win7 machine about 5 years old. Starting it up reminds me of firing up a steam locomotive where the stoker started at 03:30 so it would be ready to go at 07:00. Microsoft wonders why people would rather GMail/Facebook/Twitter on a phone?

We still have an accounting package running on Win97. For over 15 years. You would not believe how quickly the OS fires up and closes down. Don't worry: it's not on the internet.

mangojack

Licensed User
Longtime User
But i love to use the big hammer once a year: backup everything and make a clean windows install :cool:

I agree ... There is nothing like a nice fresh clean install, but every year is a bit drastic ..

It takes me a full Year to get it back to how it was ... o_O err .... before I decide its time for a fresh install .... errr Loop While :confused:

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for your comments, but I just wanted to point out how much VS has become heavy.

I think that if you maintain your keys register clean and don't start unuseful services (their processes), your PC should be fast enough; but VS will be still slow :D (at least on start).
P.S. Also Defrag (if it is still its name) is useful; I did not think about this because I had installed VS almost immediately, but if installed in a long time ...!
Forget it: it is scheduled (weekly)

In short:
- save your needed hardware drivers to usb
- backup the stuff you need
- know your windows key (there is a sticker on the back of yor pc)
- download your windows version from the microsoft homepage
- burn this image to a dvd
- reboot your pc and and install

Thank you, I will try (I have to choose the right moment, since it is always a risk).
Also I think I made a copy of the disk (image) using the normal Windows command but I can not be certain that this works and surely now it is old :)

Last edited:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
VS is horrible that's why I prefered to use VB6 for something quick and dirty...

and then B4J showed up...

:)

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Regarding VS load time...
Before SSD: 2m20s
After SSD: 8s

B4J/A is still faster, though.

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, SSD makes a huge difference. It definitively improves the loading time of VS and these days you can get SSD really cheap.