My first game (libGdx + Box2D)

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello there.
After 5 months of work (first game ever, I've had to learn libGdx, box2D and some tools involved), I can say my game is almost done, and can proudly present it in society:

It's an Angry birds ( or Crush the Castle) like game, but medieval themed, and the knights have ragdoll physics implemented, I think it's funny, you can kill them in infinite ways
There is parallax scrolling, different materials,a shop, power ups, 4 different random time scenes (I mean night, day, afternoon...) and a lot of little details here and there.
There's no sound in the video, but I allready have all the music and sounds there.
I still have to solve some sound issues, as I have a little problem with soundpool.
While I finish some little details (one week or so) I'd like to start with translations and beta testing, I'll keep you informed if you want to help me, but now I'd like to have some feedback of the game.
So... honestly, what do you think?

PS: I've also been doing some side projects, I have a platformer (with Box2d) and a car game in queue...

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
Nice graphic! But it will be more attractive if not Angry Bird clone. I think the users are so tired of Birds (Angry, Flappy...).

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
really awesome, i like it. i am working also on a box2d + libgdx game (something like climb hill)

i can see how many "little details" you put in your game. graphics are also great.

what i would suggest you is to remove some animations from your menu.
i think you put to much animatios (button scroll, down, up,..) maybe animate all control together (fade or scroll) instead of each control by it self.

but beside that it is GREAT! Thumbs Up! wish you lot of luck with your new game :)

Last edited:

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Awesome !! All in B4A ??
Yes, it's b4a + libGdx + box2D
LibGDX is great!
Nice graphic! But it will be more attractive if not Angry Bird clone. I think the users are so tired of Birds (Angry, Flappy...).
Well, Angry birds is only the concept, there won't be birds in this one. I wouldn´t say it's a clone. About naming it, I still have to learn some ASO before publishing it, wich involves the description and the name itself. I mean, if naming it Angry Catapult gives the game more visiblity, I'll name it that way. The kewords and the title are important to get downloads.
really awesome, i like it. i am working also on a box2d + libgdx game (something like climb hill)

i can see how many "little details" you put in your game. graphics are also great.

what i would suggest you is to remove some animations from your menu.
i think you put to much animatios (button scroll, down, up,..) maybe animate all control together (fade or scroll) instead of each control by it self.

but beside that it is GREAT! Thumbs Up! wish your lot of luck with your new game :)

Yeah, I've seen your game. I'm also working in something very very similar ;)!
About the animations. Maybe you're right. I made a system where you can define and animate an element for the scene and maybe I'm abusing a little. I'll try to reduce the animations.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I also wanted to ask you why are you using soundpool? Libgdx got his own sound controls.

Are you handeling the menus also with libgdx? Or are u using 2 activities 1 for menus and 1 for the game?

Last edited:

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Libgdx's LgSound class uses soundpool AFAIK.
I've tried lgsound, soundpool, openSL, and with all of them I have issues. I think it can be my phone, don't know, I still have to do some research. First I want to finish the game so I don't get stuck.
About the GUI, it's only 1 activity. I'm not using scene2D, just sprites and regions, moving them with interpolators.

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello guys.
I can say the game is almost ready 2 go!
I don't know if this is the correct place to ask for help, but I'd need some translations.
I have spanish and english, and I'd like to include more languages (like french, german, italian... the more the better), so if any of you would like to translate some strings I'd be so grateful...
Font used is Grobold, wich has a limited set of characters:
http://www.dafont.com/es/grobold.fonthttp://www.dafont.com/es/grobold.font
The strings to translate would be:

"PLAY"
"LEVELS"
"SHOP"
"THIS IS YOUR CATAPULT"
"THIS ONE IS A KNIGHT (THE ENEMY)"
"TOUCH IT TO START THE MOVEMENT"
"RELEASE TO THROW THE STONE"
"WATCH A VIDEO TO EARN 1000$"
"WATCH A VIDEO TO SKIP THE LEVEL"
"MORE LEVELS COMING SOON!"
"YOU CAN BUY POWERUPS AT THE SHOP"

I think english is OK, but my english is not as good as it should be, so there may be some mistakes...
Thanks in advance;)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
GERMAN:

"PLAY" -> "SPIELEN"
"LEVELS" -> "STUFEN"
"SHOP" -> "GESCHÄFT"
"THIS IS YOUR CATAPULT" -> "DIES IST IHR KATAPULT"
"THIS ONE IS A KNIGHT (THE ENEMY)" -> "DIES IST EIN RITTER (GEGNER)"
"TOUCH IT TO START THE MOVEMENT" -> "BERÜHRE ES UM ZU BEWEGEN"
"RELEASE TO THROW THE STONE" -> "LOSLASSEN UM DEN STEIN ZU VERFERN"
"WATCH A VIDEO TO EARN 1000$" -> "FILM GUCKEN UM 1000$ ZU VERDIENEN"
"WATCH A VIDEO TO SKIP THE LEVEL" -> "FILM GUCKEN UM EINE STUFFE ZU ÜBERSPRINGEN"
"MORE LEVELS COMING SOON!" -> "MEHR STUFFEN WERDEN BALD FOLGEN"
"YOU CAN BUY POWERUPS AT THE SHOP" -> "SIE KÖNNEN POWER-UPS IM GESCHÄFT KAUFEN"

Good Luck :)

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Dutch

not everything can be easily translated, maybe some other dutch speaking members can correct it.

"PLAY" > SPELEN (play) or SPEEL (more like "to play")
"LEVELS" > NIVEAUS , altho LEVELS is more common used by players
"SHOP" > WINKEL , same here where SHOP is more standard
"THIS IS YOUR CATAPULT" > DIT IS UW KATAPULT
"THIS ONE IS A KNIGHT (THE ENEMY)" DIT IS EEN RIDDER (DE VIJAND)
"TOUCH IT TO START THE MOVEMENT" RAAK HET AAN OM DE BEWEGING TE STARTEN (what is IT ?)
"RELEASE TO THROW THE STONE" LOSSEN OM DE STEEN TE WERPEN (release what? the screen or the lever?) "lossen" kan also be written as "los laten" as in Ilan's german
"WATCH A VIDEO TO EARN 1000$" BEKIJK EEN VIDEO EN VERDIEN €1000
"WATCH A VIDEO TO SKIP THE LEVEL" BEKIJK EEN VIDEO OM EEN LEVEL OVER TE SLAAN
"MORE LEVELS COMING SOON!" BINNENKORT MEER LEVELS BESCHIKBAAR
"YOU CAN BUY POWERUPS AT THE SHOP" JE KAN POWER-UPs KOPEN IN DE WINKEL power-up isn't always an extention, is it? so hard to translate aswell

Last edited:

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
hi melonZgz, this is not a critic just a suggestion
i see in your video that when the bomb is exploding the enemy dies immidiatly

i guess you use the "In Radius -> add Impulse" technic but with this technic the enemy dies even big strong stones and woods are covering him
why not use a much realistic explosion behavior like creating lots of small phsyic bodies (circles) and add a strong force (impulse) to them

like this you get a real grenade effect. (just a suggestion :))

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks guys;)
hi melonZgz, this is not a critic just a suggestion
i see in your video that when the bomb is exploding the enemy dies immidiatly

i guess you use the "In Radius -> add Impulse" technic but with this technic the enemy dies even big strong stones and woods are covering him
why not use a much realistic explosion behavior like creating lots of small phsyic bodies (circles) and add a strong force (impulse) to them

like this you get a real grenade effect. (just a suggestion :))

Yeah, I'm using the first method described here, the proximity method:
http://www.iforce2d.net/b2dtut/explosions
I apply a linear impulse to every object within an area, and the impulse decreases with the distance, as described in the article.
It works well with the blocks, but with the knights, as I kill them when a collision happens (in post solve callback I check for the magnitude of the impulse), if the bomb explodes near a knight, the explosion procedure applies a linear impulse to the knight, and that doesn't kill him. Thats why I check if the knight is within the area (smaller area this time) and I inmediatly kill him, like an expansion wave.
Maybe I should use a more advanced system (raycast or particles...), but at the moment it works well, maybe in a future revision...

asales

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
PORTUGUESE
Brazilian Portuguese (Português Brasileiro), but it can be the same for the "European Portuguese":

"PLAY" -> JOGAR
"LEVELS" -> NÍVEIS
"SHOP" => LOJA
"THIS IS YOUR CATAPULT" -> ESTA É A SUA CATAPULTA
"THIS ONE IS A KNIGHT (THE ENEMY)" -> ESTE É UM CAVALEIRO (O INIMIGO)
"TOUCH IT TO START THE MOVEMENT" -> TOQUE NELA PARA PÔR EM MOVIMENTO
"RELEASE TO THROW THE STONE" -> SOLTE PARA LANÇAR A PEDRA
"WATCH A VIDEO TO EARN 1000$" -> ASSISTA UM VÍDEO PARA GANHAR 1000$
"WATCH A VIDEO TO SKIP THE LEVEL" -> ASSISTA UM VÍDEO PARA MUDAR DE NÍVEL
"MORE LEVELS COMING SOON!" -> MAIS NÍVEIS EM BREVE
"YOU CAN BUY POWERUPS AT THE SHOP" -> VOCÊ PODE COMPRAR PODERES NA LOJA

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
EUROPEAN PORTUGUESE is slightly different:

"PLAY" -> JOGAR
"LEVELS" -> NÍVEIS
"SHOP" => LOJA
"THIS IS YOUR CATAPULT" -> ESTA É A TUA CATAPULTA
"THIS ONE IS A KNIGHT (THE ENEMY)" -> ESTE É UM CAVALEIRO (O INIMIGO)
"TOUCH IT TO START THE MOVEMENT" -> TOCA NA CATAPULTA PARA PÔR EM MOVIMENTO (I'm assuming you're referring to the catapult)
"RELEASE TO THROW THE STONE" -> SOLTA PARA LANÇAR A PEDRA
"WATCH A VIDEO TO EARN 1000$" -> VÊ UM VÍDEO PARA GANHAR 1000$
"WATCH A VIDEO TO SKIP THE LEVEL" -> VÊ UM VÍDEO PARA MUDAR DE NÍVEL
"MORE LEVELS COMING SOON!" -> MAIS NÍVEIS EM BREVE
"YOU CAN BUY POWERUPS AT THE SHOP" -> PODES COMPRAR PODERES NA LOJA

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Italian - Italiano

"PLAY", "GIOCA"
"LEVELS", "LIVELLI"