Why is this a bug???

Because:

LIgkCp25k3.gif

Last edited:

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I had some problems because I compared the anchors in the two images, I hadn't noticed the color (also because unfortunately I have color-blindness problems but above all because I was focused on the anchor points).

Really very useful. Perhaps, rather (or in addition) than changing color to "suspicious" views, a button to apply the suggestions provided by the checking would be useful.

[It should be noted how immediate is the visual check using b4j (resizing the form by dragging the mouse), even if it is also possible with b4a, by changing the target in the Abstract Designer]

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
button to apply the suggestions provided by the checking would be useful
It doesn't suggest a fix, it only shows you where the anchors are wrong. It is not really possible to make a good suggestion as there are many cases where it it doesn't know what the developer actually wants. It only knows that the anchors are wrong.

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
i find it useful to see all anchors, the default left,top are not visible.
everything that can move at resize i like to see an arrow instead of a dot in designer.

D

Deleted member 103

It would be better if you were to see it in the designer when zooming in or out of the layout.
But that's a small step forward. ;)

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
It would be better if you were to see it in the designer when zooming in or out of the layout.
Zooming is not same as Resizing.

But a resize-preview feature where eg you could grab the bottom-right corner of the shaded variant layout area and drag it about to see the abstract views resizing... yeah, that could be good.

The key thing is that the corner would need to spring back to its original pre-drag place when you let go of the mouse button, ie exit resize preview mode; if it were to stay put, like the zoom does when you change it... that would cause a lot of confusion.

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
I know, but that's the Google translation. :)
Fair enough, then. Especially given your tag line: my English is getting better now. Your English is heaps better than my German ;-)

deepl.com often does a better job than translate.google.com of retaining the meaning and nuance of the original. I'd be interested to see if it did better translating "Größe des Layouts ändern" or whatever the original was, and didn't change it to close-but-no-cigar "zooming".

Last edited:

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I guess I'm missing something....I understand that the "Check Anchor" button will highlight bad anchors in red.

But what tool is Erel using to resize the activity in real-time and show what the controls will look like?

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Ah, so the java app is a desktop app and you are simply resizing the window.

It would be a cool if there was a way like this to test the designer scripts and activity code positioning in B4A in real-time.

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
The abstract designer allows you to see how the views positions and sizes will change based on various screen sizes.
That does indeed do a lot of what was wished for, if Designer is in script mode.* I still like the idea of (also) being able to change the prospective width and height by dragging the bottom right corner about, as an alternative to choosing from the pulldown menu. Seeing the views resize dynamically will give a better understanding of how the scaling works, and highlight which views are not scaling as expected/intended/planned(/hoped).

I assume that script mode is running both the general and variant scripts, in the same manner that LoadLayout would run them. (no time to check right now)

* yet again I eat your dust :-/ I was wondering why using that menu to preview scaling hadn't occurred to me before - I think it is because when I started, I didn't know to turn script mode on, thus the menu didn't provide a preview that matched the running app, and so I went down my own custom autoscale path.

Last edited: