Android Question No permissions asked when installing Release through Bridge

quique

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello There!

I am installing my app through B4A / bridge (in Release mode). I am using Location Services (with Fine position) inside my app.

When installing, even on a new device, no permission is asked. Later, when trying the app, Location has no permission.

On Manifest editor I use:

B4X:
<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="14" android:targetSdkVersion="28"/>

and ...

B4X:
AddPermission(android.permission.VIBRATE)
AddPermission(android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION)
AddPermission(android.permission.INTERNET)
AddPermission(android.permission.NETWORK)
AddPermission(android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE)
AddPermission(android.permission.WIFI)
AddPermission(android.permission.GPS)

Now, If I change targetSdkVersion to "22" then YES, when installing it will ask for permissions.

Is there something I am not understanding (most obviously yes?) or is this a bug ?

Any help appreciated,

Enrique

quique

Licensed User
Longtime User

Yes, I was aware about runtime permissions.

I supposed (it seems wrongly) that runtime permissions was something "optional", available if you did not want to declare those at manifest editor, ideal for not scaring users right away at installation time ... !

MarkusR, are you sure this is mandatory for new sdk targets ?

Upvote 0

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
are you sure this is mandatory for new sdk targets ?
can't answer. i am not an expert in this.
for the google shop u need minimum target 26 now.
i have a os 5 device and 6 so i need to use this runtime permissions either way.
the os 5 said my app need this and that before setup. the os 6 said it need nothing at setup but permission manager pop up between if me request a permission.
in my last app i made a splash screen with checkboxes, request my needed permissions and at event i set the checkbox and if i got all i start the dashboard activity.
i used a timer so see if all checkboxes are set. i have also a button to goto dashboard manualy. the user can see at start there are permissions missing.
my problem was that if the permission monitor pop ups the app goto pause and then it will resume.

Upvote 0