Android Question Offline Database for android?

Carlos Jaime Sapnu

Licensed User
Good day! We are making a reviewer android app as our project for our final year in college.
The target number of questions all in all for our app is 8000 questions. We need a database and what we have figured out at first is MySQL.

However, we are having a hard time connecting MySQL to B4A i.e. linking the database to the app (connection strings and the like).

With regards to the issue, I want to ask the following questions:
1. Is MySQL really the appropriate database for our app? Note that we want our app to fully operate offline.

2. If so, how can we link the database in MySQL to B4A?

3. Is there any other way to store the 8000 questions that we need and export it together with the app?

Thank you for helping!

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Since you are dealing with a finite number of questions, I would go with a text file, and in the app read it to a map.
That way, even if you neededto jump questions based on user answers, it would not be too hard to do.
At 8k questions, it shouldn't take too long to load the file

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
SQLite is the best offline database for this.

Upvote 0

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
8000 questions in text is too tiny for SQLite. I made a SQLite database for 50,000 songs and it just took about 2-5 seconds to query and display content. So SQLite is the right selection.

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I made a SQLite database for 50,000 songs and it just took about 2-5 seconds to query and display content
Often (I should say always) with many records you don't have problems of time to query (read) data because your tables have indexes; the "problem" is inserting new records, just because of indexes :)

We need a database and what we have figured out at first is MySQL.
Must data be shared? If so, a local (device) SQLite DB is not enough, of course.

Upvote 0