B4J Question Open .jar with OpenJDK 11

PatrikCavina

Licensed User
I decided to uninstall the previous versions of java and leave only openjdk11.
I reconfigured everything from the environment variables to the IDE configuration path.
My problem now is that once the jar file is created, and I try to open it, it does not run.
If I try running the java program from cmd with the command "java -jar fileName.jar", I get this error:

"Error: JavaFX runtime components are missing, and are required to run this application"

The only solution I found was in this post:
https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...ibillity-with-previous-projects.102061/page-3

using the command:

"java --module-path javafxpath\lib --add-modules=javafx.controls -jar fileName.jar"

Is it possible that using openJDK I can no longer execute a jar file simply by double clicking on it, without necessarily having to go through the cmd?

Erel

Administrator
Staff member
Licensed User
Is it possible that using openJDK I can no longer execute a jar file simply by double clicking on it, without necessarily having to go through the cmd?
Check this short tutorial: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/b4j-v6-80-beta-with-support-for-java-11.99541/

Runnable jars are not supported in Java 11+.

You should create an installer instead.

using the command:

"java --module-path javafxpath\lib --add-modules=javafx.controls -jar fileName.jar"
This command is not correct. It is missing many things.

Upvote 0

Daestrum

Licensed User
Just to clarify the above batch file command.

1, my JAVA_HOME is set to my java 11 directory, so I can just use java (D:\java 11.0.2+7\jdk-11.0.2+7\bin)
2, my openjfx modules have an environment variable %PATH_TO_FX% so I can use --module-path=%PATH_TO_FX% (javafx-sdk-11.0.2)

I also must emphasise that the b4jPackager11 is a far better solution to use.
Not only can you run from double click, the resultant file is far smaller than the equivalent jar.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PatrikCavina

Licensed User
I don't know if i'm very unfortunate, but:

Executing B4jPackager11 i recive this error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.module.FindException: Module java.activation not found, required by java.xml.bind

Using this Json settings:
{
InputJar: "C:/Users/xxx/Documents/B4J/Projects/yyyy/PrintProfiles (Grinder3)/V1.0/Objects/NPP.jar"​
}

And

Executing command found in release_java_modules.txt, i recive this error:

java.lang.module.FindException: Module javafx.swt not found

Upvote 0

xulihang

Licensed User
I successfully run my jar using the command below which is modified from stackoverflow.

B4X:
E:\jdk-11.0.1\bin\java --module-path E:\jdk-11.0.1\javafx\lib --add-modules javafx.controls,javafx.fxml,javafx.web -jar BasicCAT.jar

But I got this exception which does not show using IDE.

B4X:
(IllegalAccessException) java.lang.IllegalAccessException: class anywheresoftware.b4j.object.JavaObject cannot access class com.sun.javafx.collections.VetoableListDecorator (in module javafx.base) because module javafx.base does not export com.sun.javafx.collections to unnamed module @6935900b

Upvote 0

xulihang

Licensed User
I check the release_java_modules.txt in B4JPackager11's build and add the following params. And I find the exception is gone, though I don't know what does --add-opens do.

B4X:
--add-opens javafx.controls/com.sun.javafx.scene.control.inputmap=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.scene=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens javafx.controls/com.sun.javafx.scene.control.behavior=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.scene.traversal=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens javafx.graphics/javafx.scene=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens javafx.base/com.sun.javafx.collections=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens javafx.controls/com.sun.javafx.scene.control=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens javafx.base/com.sun.javafx.event=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.css=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens javafx.base/com.sun.javafx.runtime=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens javafx.controls/com.sun.javafx.scene.control.skin=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.geom=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens javafx.graphics/javafx.scene.canvas=ALL-UNNAMED

Upvote 0

ThRuST

Licensed User
Here's the original parameter provided from RichTextFX on GitHub (from their forum posts)

--add-exports javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.geom=ALL-UNNAMED --add-exports javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.text=ALL-UNNAMED --add-exports javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.scene.text=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens javafx.graphics/javafx.scene.text=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.text=ALL-UNNAMED

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PatrikCavina

Licensed User
Now i have better understand logic of openJDK.
But my problem about B4JPackager11 persists. Yesterday i have made a test with another pc, and all work fine.
With my work pc i recived always the same error when i try to package my app:

Waiting for debugger to connect...
Program started.
B4JPackager11 Version 1.02
InputJar: C:\Users\xxx\Documents\B4J\Projects\yyy\PrintProfiles (Grinder3)\V1.0\Objects\NPP.jar
Running: C:\Users\XXX~1\DOCUME~1\B4J\Utils\B4JPAC~1\src\Objects\temp\FindDosPath.exe
Running: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-11.0.1\bin\jar
Package name: b4j.example
Running: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-11.0.1\bin\jdeps
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.module.FindException: Module java.activation not found, required by java.xml.bind
at java.base/java.lang.module.Resolver.findFail(Resolver.java:877)
at java.base/java.lang.module.Resolver.resolve(Resolver.java:191)
at java.base/java.lang.module.Resolver.resolve(Resolver.java:140)
at java.base/java.lang.module.Configuration.resolve(Configuration.java:411)
at java.base/java.lang.module.Configuration.resolve(Configuration.java:245)
at jdk.jdeps/com.sun.tools.jdeps.JdepsConfiguration.<init>(JdepsConfiguration.java:117)
at jdk.jdeps/com.sun.tools.jdeps.JdepsConfiguration$Builder.build(JdepsConfiguration.java:563)
at jdk.jdeps/com.sun.tools.jdeps.JdepsTask.buildConfig(JdepsTask.java:589)
at jdk.jdeps/com.sun.tools.jdeps.JdepsTask.run(JdepsTask.java:543)
at jdk.jdeps/com.sun.tools.jdeps.JdepsTask.run(JdepsTask.java:519)
at jdk.jdeps/com.sun.tools.jdeps.Main.main(Main.java:49)

@Erel are you think is better to open new thread?

Upvote 0

PatrikCavina

Licensed User
Reinstalling B4J and openJDK 11 (from the link of erel), I found out that only in this application B4JPackager does not work, in all other applications B4JPackager does not give me errors.
So I think the error is in my application even though it works correctly in the release mode.

Upvote 0

Daestrum

Licensed User
If you’re using any of the following packages (module names in parenthesis)…

• javax.activation (java.activation)
  • javax.activity, javax.rmi, javax.rmi.CORBA, org.omg.* (java.corba)
  • javax.transaction (java.transaction)
  • javax.xml.bind.* (java.xml.bind)
  • javax.jws, javax.jws.soap, javax.xml.soap, javax.xml.ws.* (java.xml.ws)
  • javax.annotation (java.xml.ws.annotation)
… then you need to replace them with third-party implementations (check this StackOverflow answer for inspiration).

Upvote 0