B4J Question Preferred Linux OS?

rfresh

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm going to use one of my spare PCs to install Linux. I've created a B4J jar file that I want to run on it. Is there a preferred Linux brand I should install for this project?

(I've been able to successfully run my B4J jar file on my Mac. Now I want to do the same for Linux).

Thank you...

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Ubuntu - latest LTS.
Of course, others will chime in with different offerings...

It is all a matter of what you ( I ) started with and learned.
I knew NOTHING about Linux - and still know nothing...
Every time I need to do something - like update a package, install email server, install MySql or LAMP - I have to Google the instructions...
So far - the world of experts have not let me down, when I read it all and get the concise / proper instructions...

It is so much fun and will suck most of your time away from the Netflix boob tube - mindless distraction...
However - it can also make you want to give up programming forever.....

This is why large corps have so many people employed. Each have their own expertise.
Here in our own sole business - We ( I ) have to know everything.... Daunting? - YES!

From what I have seen from following your (many) posts - you have no fear - anything is possible...
And you are right - cause you are HERE. Anything is possible and in hindsight - quite easy when the experts chime in, and you reflect on what it took to accomplish whatever.

More of my blather for your consideration... My only expertise...

Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Debian Stable. Installation instructions could be improved, but the end result is great and very stable (as one could expect). This is the OS I use every day.

(Ubuntu LTS would also be a perfectly fine choice.)

Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My story is a bit different.
First exposure was to SCO Unix and Unix System V . Then a jump to Ubuntu for using it as a desktop alternative to Windows (did I already say I never liked it?).
Finally, a friend of mine suggested to adopt CentOS as a very stable server OS.
Like @Harris I need to google for almost everything, but that's part of the learning process..

Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Unfortunately Red Hat killed it last month.
Bad news! I've to check with my VPS provider to learn what the alternatives could be (I guess Ubuntu will be on the list).
That means that in a close future I should take off my programmer's hat, put on the IT one, activate a new VPS server, install a new (and different OS), configure it properly, do the same for any needed service, migrate my sw to it along with any related data, redirect domains to new server..and finally turn off the current server.
Good news is that I learnt about this unfortunate situation after Xmas time, so I enjoyed it as much as the pandemic allowed :)

Upvote 0

rfresh

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'll go with Ubuntu LTS. Unfortuntly, my hard drive is having some problems. Ubuntu won't complete it's installation. It reports disk errors and has to abort the install. I can't get to the hard drive so I don't know what's wrong with it or if it can be fixed by some disk utility. I boot from a DOS USB stick and has the Ubuntu .iso file on it. I've tried running several disk fix utilities but they all stop and say they don't run in DOS mode. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can run a check up/fix DOS utility?

Thank you...

Upvote 0

rfresh

Licensed User
Longtime User
When I boot from my USB drive, I'm into Ubuntu, and I open a terminal window but any disk commands cannot find or see the hard drive. So I think I might have to just replace it with a new SSD.

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
When I boot from my USB drive, I'm into Ubuntu, and I open a terminal window but any disk commands cannot find or see the hard drive. So I think I might have to just replace it with a new SSD.
You should start a new thread...

Upvote 0

Winni

Licensed User
Longtime User
The eternal question... Which Linux should I use?

Back in 2009, at the company where I worked back then, we decided to consolidate our Linux/Unix servers on a common distribution and had a very long and thorough discussion on the topic. We did not want to use a distribution that would force us to purchase support contracts or even licenses, so Red Hat was off the table right away. We also did not want to rely on a pure community-supported/-driven distribution, so Debian and CentOS were off the table as well. We still wanted to have the --option-- to purchase support from the distribution's manufacturer/creator but at the same time we still wanted to be able to obtain the software itself free of charge, since we needed to keep the software costs as low as possible.

I think by now you all have guessed what the answer to these requirements was: Ubuntu.

It was a good decision and I never regretted it. By now, even Dell considers Ubuntu an "Enterprise-Grade" Linux distribution and fully supports it on their server hardware and even certifies their servers for Ubuntu. Ubuntu has never let me down over the last twelve years, and I'm talking about ISP-level deployments in global networks. Ubuntu gets the job done, is well documented and well supported - and still has great free community support.

On the desktop, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS also is my personal favorite among the armada of existing Linux distributions. On weaker/older desktop hardware, I use Xubuntu, which is a great alternative. I never liked the Ubuntu-based Linux Mint; in my experience, the repositories are half of the time offline, at least when you try to access them from Germany, and Cinnamon neither provides the user experience that I want nor does it feel stable and reliable. I know that a lot of people love Mint, but I'm not one of them. I also do not like using KDE - it reminds me of a car tuned and designed by an 18-year-old and brings a lot of nonsense with little substance. To each their own. If the Linux world has one big advantage, then it's the fact that there is something in it for everyone: Knock yourself out! :)

I do not use the "interim" releases of Ubuntu and always stick with the LTS versions; the interim-releases are basically development versions or betas and only "live" for a few months. I don't burn my time on them.

tl;dr: Ubuntu++ :)

Upvote 0