Android Question Problem with SQL and debugging

grafsoft

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I create a table with

B4X:
t = "CREATE TABLE if not exists sessions (ID INTEGER PRIMARY KEY, zeit text, name text)"
 sql1.ExecNonQuery (t)

This works. Then I try to insert values

B4X:
t="insert into sessions values (NULL, '" & dt & "','" & EditText1.Text & "')"
 Log (t)
' Shows "insert into sessions values (NULL, '2022.08.18 12:35:13','test')"
 Try
       Tracker.sql1.ExecNonQuery (t)
 Catch
       Log (LastException.Message) ' Debugger does not get here
       ' Message is not logged
 End Try
Dim cs As Cursor
' Activity freezes at the above line. But the error is in the sql.insert statement. If I omit the try ... catch it freezes after        Tracker.sql1.ExecNonQuery (t)

I have a little experience with B4A and SQL, do not expect to make big errors. But I have no idea about how to proceed further.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Code Smell detected.

1. I don't recommend writing query like this
SQL:
I recommend :
B4X:
Dim strSQL As String = "INSERT INTO sessions (zeit , name) VALUES (?, ?)"

Then:
B4X:
Try
    Dim strName As String = EditText1.Text.Trim
    Tracker.sql1.ExecNonQuery2 (strSQL, Array As String(dt, strName))
Catch
    ' Message is not logged
End Try

Avoid using Cursor
B4X:
Dim cs As Cursor
Use Resultset instead. But not sure why you need this line since you are not executing an ExecQuery.

Upvote 1

grafsoft

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks to both of you!

What I am wondering: In every programming or database language I know a statement is WRONG (produces errors) or RIGHT. Of course there are also criteria such as speed, readability, compatibility and the like. But with this SQL I often read only RECOMMENDED, And the not recommended statements are likely to produce errors or funny results ... but not always ...

Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Your code should work.
Why it is not working may due to other factor.
Since you didn’t provide the complete project, we can only guess and and advice better way to avoid problem, when your input values are invalid.

Upvote 0

Heuristx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks to both of you!

What I am wondering: In every programming or database language I know a statement is WRONG (produces errors) or RIGHT. Of course there are also criteria such as speed, readability, compatibility and the like. But with this SQL I often read only RECOMMENDED, And the not recommended statements are likely to produce errors or funny results ... but not always ...
What is dt? I guess it wants to be a DateTime, but where is it assigned?

Upvote 0

Heuristx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks to both of you!

:) never mind, I see the log.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Heuristx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I create a table with

B4X:
t = "CREATE TABLE if not exists sessions (ID INTEGER PRIMARY KEY, zeit text, name text)"
 sql1.ExecNonQuery (t)

This works. Then I try to insert values

B4X:
 Log (t)
' Shows "insert into sessions values (NULL, '2022.08.18 12:35:13','test')"
 Try
       Tracker.sql1.ExecNonQuery (t)
 Catch
       ' Message is not logged
 End Try
Dim cs As Cursor
' Activity freezes at the above line. But the error is in the sql.insert statement. If I omit the try ... catch it freezes after        Tracker.sql1.ExecNonQuery (t)

I have a little experience with B4A and SQL, do not expect to make big errors. But I have no idea about how to proceed further.
How to proceed further:

1) You can test a simple case: t = "INSERT INTO Sessions VALUES(NULL, 'abc', xyz')"

You will probably see that this ExecNonQuery line has nothing to do with the problem.
But what is Tracker? What object? Is it initialized? In what state is it?
What about Tracker.sql1? Is it initailized? Opened? In what state? Are there transactions or open ResultSets on it? What is going on in the program before the lines you posted?

Upvote 0