B4J Question Raspberry Pi with JavaFX: Limitations?

Mark Read

Licensed User
Longtime User
There would seem to be a lot of users who work with the RPi here in the forum - terrific!

My question: Assuming the use of java 1.8.0.73 (or 65) for example, what components in B4J will NOT work.

Somewhere I read that FileChooser and Webview have problems. Without going to the trouble of trying each node/view, I thought I would ask.

Many thanks.

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
Javafx UI apps won't work on raspPi, you will need Java 1.7 and even then it will be very slow.

Server apps on the other side work very good

Upvote 0

Mark Read

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry but this is not correct, they do. I have enough ui apps that work and they only start a little slow. Try Erels bouncing smiley!!

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The official requirement for B4J UI apps is Java 8u40+.

Oracle has removed JavaFX from Java 8u25+. The latest Oracle ARM version that does include JavaFX is 8u6.

There might be other distributions of newer versions of JRE that does include JavaFX. If anyone has experience with other distributions then please share it.

Upvote 0

Mark Read

Licensed User
Longtime User
Good, now we have established what version of java is required for UI apps. Back to my original question. What are the limitations when using B4J on the Rpi?

1. Apps will only run full screen. Is not really a problem unless you look at this thread which I already posted but never got a solution.

Has anyone come across any other problems?

Upvote 0

Mark Read

Licensed User
Longtime User
Not working:

1. Webview - pity
2. FileChooser - Anyone got a workaround?
3. Mediaplayer.

Upvote 0

alienhunter

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think the biggest problem is that Javafx is not supported any more , you have to go back in versions for UI apps , i got a few running but
i will replace them with windows stick's and windows 10
too much to take care of , and they are way slower then the windows sticks for UI apps

Upvote 0