Android Tutorial Running B4A and B4J under Linux with wine - fully functional

Mihai Rainer Jr.

Licensed User

Did not faced this issue. I have followed the exact above (edited) procedure after reinstalling my laptop.
More than that, today I have installed B4J 7.00 in another container, since I need it for GUI app development on Raspberry Pi (which, by the way, is working great with Liberica - JDK 11), using Raspbian Stretch Lite, without starting X server, because I need it for a kiosk project.
After adding winehq repository and installing wine 4.0 (stable), you may check the winetricks repository and dependencies with:
~#apt-cache showpkg winetricks

welu1805

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4A V 8.80 as registered version now runs under my Linux! B4A Bridge runs too!

B4J V 7.00 runs too!

Great!

My configuration: Ubuntu 18.04 Mate 32 bit, wine 4.0, wine configured as Windows 7.

welu1805

Licensed User
Longtime User
Now I tested B4A with a very large project. Main has about 10.000 lines and there are many classes and activities. It works fine!

stanks

Licensed User
Longtime User
hello

i was successfull in first 10, but 11 is totally unclear to me. which uninstaller? in which window? which app? unclear 100% any help on that?

stanks

Licensed User
Longtime User
jdk v8 for windows fails to install. i get error msg box with two squares in it (unicode?) you meant jdk windows version?

mplx

Licensed User
Great guide, thanks!

One thing to note: adb versions must be the same for linux and windows, otherwise the linux adb will be killed by the windows one...

adb server version (40) doesn't match this client (41); killing...

Mihai Rainer Jr.

Licensed User
Great guide, thanks!

One thing to note: adb versions must be the same for linux and windows, otherwise the linux adb will be killed by the windows one...

Not necessarily. I am running B4J_bridge on Linux and connect IDE to localhost. Then, everything runs smoothly, and does not care about adb version difference. I am doing this, mainly because I am using applications with serial ports communication and it is not a straightforward task to add them to wine

Rinzwind

Licensed User
I tried to get B4j working in latest CrossOver under Catalina. It kind of starts, but theres some bad menu flashing every second or so. Those 3 tabs at the topright keep being hilited and also weird hilite stuff of current active code procedure name... Needed several tries from scratch to get it working and it wont start in one of the bottle templates that already include several libs and stuff.

fat32

I have managed to follow the steps and install B4A in Lubuntu 18.10. Everything is working except when i try to connect the Designer to the app. Even if in the left-down corner says that is connected and the command "Restart ADB server" seems to work... the designer can't connect. It spits out this error msg:

Bash:
System.Exception: adb.exe F 02-16 14:20:10   138   139 sysdeps_win32.cpp:2678] _wenviron is not set, did you link with -municode?

I noticed that B4E, tries to find the adb.exe inside the "platform-tools" dir. My linux version of adb, works fine and finds the device connected. But the windows one, doesn't. Any ideas?

bjf

Licensed User
Longtime User

I am sorry for posting in an old thread but this is EXACTLY the problem i'm faicing.
Did you manage to solve it?

Mihai Rainer Jr.

Licensed User
I am sorry for posting in an old thread but this is EXACTLY the problem i'm faicing.
Did you manage to solve it?
Hi, I found that you need to use a specific adb version for Linux in order to work (1.0.40) 1.0.39 fails, 1.0.41 fails, too (Linux adb server is crashing when the adb.exe is trying to connect in order to upload the app to the mobile terminal). Hope this helps

bjf

Licensed User
Longtime User

Thank you for answering, really appreciate it!

However this did not fix my issue
Do you think the windows adb-version also has to be 1.0.40?

johnaaronrose

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Mihai Rainer Jr.
You mentioned installing SDK Manager. My guess is that it is required to create emulator "images". Even after installing it, running SDK Manager or AVD Manager from B4A menus only brings up a blank screen titled SDK Manager. Any ideas?
I would like to do that as I'm not impressed by B4A-Bridge which can be a little hit & miss as well as the nuisance of going through answering requests about installing the app (e.g. Play Protect objecting even though I've amended my phone's Android Settings to "Allow installation from unknown sources"). I've also noticed that installing the app allowing overwrite of the existing app on the phone can lead to an unusable app on the phone. IMO B4A should really allow automatic downloading & installation of the app by usb cable: you can do it manually using Terminal but that's a nuisance.
Reviving an old app of mine has lead to a problem with synchronously calling (using library Okhttputils2) code to download a database from the internet. Erel advised putting the code in a Service Module or using B4XPages: to me B4XPages seems the better option as I want a progress bar (on the calling layout's module) updated as the database is downloaded. I haven't been able to find much documentation on converting to B4XPages except for a youtube video which is about creating a B4XPages app from scratch. The youtube video is at
Any ideas?

Last edited:

Mihai Rainer Jr.

Licensed User
I cannot help you about AVD, since I'm only using physical devices. You need to install adb for Linux in order to be able to deploy the application directly to your device. It is working on my side with even multiple devices simultaneously connected, when de IDE is asking to select the target. Recently I found that I don't even need to use a cable and I'm using adb to connect over WiFi or Ethernet (I'm working with some industrial Android tablets that have also Ethernet interface). If the device is not connecting over the LAN/WiFi with adb, after power-up I'm connecting over the USB and issuing the command
adb network activation:
adb -s <device_id> tcpip 5555
Then everything is working just fine over the network (a little slower over WiFi, obviously, but enough for me). This way I'm able to use the USB host on the tablet or OTG host on the phone to connect various electronic boards to use them for serial communication. No USB cable needed or terminal required for application upload. The only issue I found is that you need to install the Linux adb version that matches the version installed in wine compatibility layer.
For the other issues, I'm afraid I cannot help you, since I was never there (converting to B4XPages).

johnaaronrose

Licensed User
Longtime User
After I installed B4A & B4Jfollowing the instructions at https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...x-mint-20-2-cinnamon-with-64-bit-wine.134069/ which uses later version of some software (e.g. r30 of platform-tools) and initially worked Ok for B4A Compile&Run. 'm now getting a strange message in B4A when trying to install to my phone.
B4X:
adb.exe F 02-25 09:42:27   288   285 sysdeps_win32.cpp:2743] _wenviron is not set, did you link with -municode?
Somebody on thread at https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...on-with-b4a-bridge-nor-with-usb-cable.136501/ has had the same problem but no solution was posted. Have you ever seen that?
Another interesting point is that whichever version of Linux adb I use in Terminal, it never shows my phone or tablet for ''adb devices' when connected by USB cable. But Ubuntu 20.04 sees my phone or tablet in my 'dock' when I connect it by USB. When I did the install, I followed this step below from walt61:
adb must be version 1.0.40 for both Windows (for Wine) and Linux (platform tools 28.0.2); you can check this with
adb version
You can download both versions in one zip file from
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a45a6ym8l1ue5fk/AAB-7ocL5O4kSvT7cChZB5LEa?dl=0 (thank you @EnriqueGonzalez https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/members/enriquegonzalez.82999/). In a step further on, it is explained what to do with the downloaded file: namely:
Copy Linux adb1.0.40 (platform-tools_r28.0.2-linux.zip) you downloaded in step 19 from the Dropbox link to /home/YOUR_USER_NAME/B4X/platform-tools
PS in an earlier post, you said that you linked from the IDE to localhost. Could you clarify that?

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…