Java Question Shared objects

HotShoe

Licensed User
Longtime User
My background is in C, Assembly, Pascal, and now b4a. I can read and understand java source, but I don't know java. I have developed libraries, and done kernel development for Android and Linux for many years.

My question is can b4a use shared object libraries written in C like system libraries and such? My understanding is that java can access .so files in the system, but is there a way that I can use my own IMAP and other libraries in b4a?

I have the Android ported .jar files for java.mail, but I have no luck trying to wrap them to get to the IMAP functionality. If I can include my own .so file in the package and access those routines, my problem is solved since I know these routines and exactly how and when to call them.

Adding a reference in the manifest is simple enough, so the only remaining obstacle is getting b4a to see and use that shared object.

Thanks,

--- Jem

Missing Link Software
Oklahoma City, OK.

HotShoe

Licensed User
Longtime User
Libs

Thanks Erel,

I know a few java programmers that I will ask to help with that. I have a mail client written that is lacking support for IMAP, NNTP, and Exchange. I do have the ported java .jar (or source) files that support IMAP and I believe NNTP (will have to check).

Wrapping those files seems straight forward (according to one of the java guys), but I do have another question. Do I need to include those files in the .apk file or does b4a import the libs itself? Also, can I create a lib directory in the project's files directory and have b4a pack the contents of that directory at compile time?

Thanks,

--- Jem

Missing Link Software
Oklahoma City, OK.