Android Question Signing key not accepted by Google. Did Google change anything?

Tirs

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi everyone! I would need some help here. I'm trying to sign an app, using Erel's tutorial and this thread. However, when I upload the exported key to Google, it says "The private key was not properly encrypted, or it is a type of key not accepted", and rejects it. I am trying to use the "Use the existing app signing key from the Java keystore", although I also tried "Use the existing app signing key from Android Studio", just for the sake of testing (I do not have Android Studio installed, only the SDK).

The funny thing is, I have two apps in the Play Store, and I managed to update one of them smoothly a few months ago (around February); now I try to update the other app, and it is acting up. I am using the same key for both. Maybe Google changed something since February and (as they often do) didn't tell us?

Any ideas?

Thank you!

mangojack

Licensed User
Longtime User
Possible Solution ...

Upvote 0

Tirs

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, thank you very much... I think. It worked, but not in the way I expected. Essentially, this sentence by Erel in the thread you mentioned saved my day:

[If you are using an old key then] you can probably still upload an APK instead of AAB.

I tried to upload the APK instead of the AAB, and it worked. This app is from October 2017 and it has not been updated since then, so the APK is still accepted (and it probably was about time to update it!)

Anyway, you pointed me to a workaround, so thanks! :)

[EDIT: I forgot to mention that I am NOT using an old key as per Erel's instructions in that thread]

Upvote 1