iOS Question Simulator issues

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
So I am using the simulator for the first time, and I immediately find it annoying.

Maybe I am not doing things right, but I am not sure.

When clicking Simulator in the IDE, it launches on the Mac, but only has an iPhone XR or something like that, and I cant figure out for the life of me where to "close" it.

I clicked in the menu for another device, like an iPad, and it will launch too. But now I have TWO running simulator devices, and I cant close either!

Of course when I Debug, it still wants to shove it in the first device that ever launched, and not the newer ones I started up.

Also when the device is running, my App animations are obviously laggy of course, but that is fine. However the animation/operation never "completes". For example B4XDrawer will open like half way, but never complete. and same thing when I go to close it. if I hit the close, itll refresh and show all the way out, and get stuck animating closed. Hmmmmm

I'm pulling my hair out over here. Thoughts?

Semen Matusovskiy

Licensed User
If you use current XCode release, there is a problem with screen refresh.
The solution (exactly workaround) is very simple. Click Simulator and take a look the menu in upper left corner. Select "Hardware", "Toggle in-call Status Bar". Clocks will begin to blink.

Upvote 0

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
Im not using the latest xcode because it requires Mojave, and my machine just falls outside of the support of Mojave. (Late 2011)

I am using the version just before that.

Also I have an itching suspicion the reason why the bug exists in the latest release is because of the switch to Metal API. Apple's new disaster.

Upvote 0

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
yup. hd 3000 with Xcode 10.1

That is what I am running.

I have 3 Macbooks here, one of them a Core2, one of them an Air running an I5, and mine which is an i5. All have that same GPU. I hackintoshed 2 of them to run Mojave.

So apparently apple sold a TON of those.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Semen Matusovskiy

Licensed User
If you use XCode 10.1, the default Simulator has IOS 12 and menu is almost the same as now.
Did you try to "Toggle in-call Status Bar" ?

1.PNG

Upvote 0

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes but it doesnt work with the X in landscape mode, which is what my App is designed to use.

Upvote 0

Semen Matusovskiy

Licensed User
It seems to me that Landscape mode is also not a problem. "Toggle" is useless, because there are no clocks.
But solution can be the same (to refresh something by timer). In attached example I simply added a class which creates transparent label. The text is changed by timer.

Attachments

• test.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 187
Upvote 0

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well when in landscape mode, if I hit the toggle thing, I still have the problem. Thats all I am saying. But the green blob isnt visible in the status bar anymore, either.

Upvote 0