1616462701840.png

wifi connection (notebook)

1616462811895.png

1616463551894.png

Last edited:

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I see a few people here who would benefit from a SpaceX StarLink connection.

I'm in the UK using Virgin Media. I get 110Mb down and about 10Mb up. Hard to price as the bundle includes phone and TV but approx £30 a month on internet.

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The requirement for higher speed is easy - just have a daughter and granddaughter who love streaming videos. Plus I stream stuff too. That's 75Mb/sec gone before Xbox and phones and tablets take more.

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have never felt alarmed with slow internet speed. I manage.

I have been using 'internet' from Dial-Up time. The 9,600 bit/s speed was luxury. I have the habit of connect-upload-download-disconnect, from that time.

Now I have 4G mobile net connection and 75 Mbps (on paper) Broadband connection.
Still I feel most of these high speed are wasted/not used, even after whole family using internet for work and personal requirements.

The below is WiFi speed, Ethernet will be higher but my laptop location is in more safer corner now :)
1617010291098.png

Regards,

Anand

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My ISP (Virgin Media) made me upgrade, by offering a ludicrous price increase for double my download speed. 500Mb ->1Gb increased my bill by £3

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
increased my bill by £3
What I have understood that all the talk / print about speed is imagination and they feed us to go for more so that they can earn more from us.

I got Broadband connection only when my company insisted and agreed to pay the monthly bill. Then too I opted for the one up from the minimum speed offer.
Unless you are streaming 4K video or above, you will not see any difference in 70 Mbps or 150 Mbps. So better save money than wasting on higher bandwidth.

Regards,

Anand

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It depends on the country (and operator).
In Switerland (in my case) I obtain as much bandwidth as I pay for. Nominal = Supplied. To top this, since on the same connection I have phone calls and TV too, the operator is so honest that he doesn't count the bandwidth of those additional services against the one for data.

In Italy an FFTH service for a nominal 1000Mbps delivers about 90Mbps (both download and upload). In good days (i.e. when you are lucky) that figures go up to 200Mbps.
Do I need really need 1000Mbps? Obviously not. But why don't be honest and sell it for what it really is?

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My average monthly data consumption is between 1 and 2 TB (until I get an Xbox Series X then it will jump up as it downloads all my games again).

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
Either SpeedTest or my connection is funny
I think its Speedtest : its funny as hell when yo realise what you paid and what you get (in a dark humour tragic sort of way).

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm in ireland Gigabit fiber is just being installed outside my house, currently regular fiber. About 55 Euro per month.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210330-070810~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210330-070810~2.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 97

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
But why don't be honest and sell it for what it really is?
Reason: Business Rule.
Lie, cheat, deceive etc. but sell and make profit.

Look at the TV commercials, you will see the picture. How they flaunt their lies beautifully.

Regards,

Anand

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Do I need a Ferrari to "run" in my garden?
Yeah. Only if I get highway , then I may look for Ferrari.

It has happened that a sports person was gifted a speedy and costly car from a business house for bringing medal to the country. He/she stays in hilly area. Finally he/she requested to exchange the shiny car with one low cost heavy car which he/she can use in his/her area.

True story from India News, name withheld.

So demand should drive the purchase and not just because it is the in-thing.

Regards,

Anand