The Final Chapter in B4X...my wish..please Erel..pretty Please ;)

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi All

I have stared to look at windows phone 8 development....oh dear....compared to b4X it is another world. It would be so great is B4W was created, it would consolidate the whole development platform. So, my wish would be that Erel would consider developing this in the future.

I am sure there are a lot of developers who feel the same. Love to get some feed back on this post.

Kind Regards

John.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Currently Windows Phone share is less than 3%. I think that there are other more interesting platforms (browser clients for example).

Anyway if we are talking about the next chapter for B4X...

SS-2015-03-10_17.28.17.png

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm not so smart to understand that next chapter
The IDE is being rewritten based on a new UI technology (wpf instead of WinForms) and a new set of third party libraries which are used for many of the editor features.

It will look better, improve the performance and allow features that are currently not possible. However it will take some time until it is ready...

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
I agree and Microsoft's tools for his S.O. will be probably almost perfect.

Rather, Microsoft should develop for Android (or B4A :D).

I'm not so smart to understand that next chapter :( :)

Along time ago in a Galaxy far far away... :D

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel

Why not just combine the IDEs into one? Would love a quick video of it.

Hopefully this new IDE has Visual Studio-like IntelliSense. (PLEASE! Only thing that makes the IDE a pain to use.)

Last edited:

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
You have me interested....Tool windows ??? Are we gettings a new IDE for B4X ?

That's likely what the dockable interface defaults to, like how the B4A designer defaults to "Button1", "Button2", etc with the button's default text being "Button 1", "Button 2", etc.

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yay, dockable windows! Please consider MDI (or similar) for the code windows as well. If you implement that, you'll get the official title of "Troberg's Hero".

imbault

Licensed User
Longtime User
The IDE is being rewritten based on a new UI technology (wpf instead of WinForms) and a new set of third party libraries which are used for many of the editor features.

It will look better, improve the performance and allow features that are currently not possible. However it will take some time until it is ready...
Wpf is in the air now?, cause last years, not a lot developper would bet on it, can you explain, why wpf vs Winforms please, for us to know
Thx

Patrick

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Why not just combine the IDEs into one? Would love a quick video of it.

Hopefully this new IDE has Visual Studio-like IntelliSense.
Under the hood all three products share almost all of the IDE related code.

What do you mean with Visual Studio like intellisense?

can you explain, why wpf vs Winforms please, for us to know
WPF is the latest desktop UI framework. It is more powerful than winforms. In this case I wanted to base the new IDE on the latest libraries provided by Actipro which are only available for WPF applications.

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Are we gettings a new IDE for B4X ?
Erels answer sounds for me that we will.
I remember the voting from him to find out which .net version the most peoples have in common... Note: Actually b4a´s requirements is .net 2.0 must be installed...

Uptodate is 4.5. I remember that the result from this voting was that we now can switch to .net 4.0

With this said .net 4.0 will have much more features than v2 was years ago.
i like @Erel spoiler ;-)

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
What do you mean with Visual Studio like intellisense?

- Basically auto-completion of If statements, When statements, For statements, etc. (Ex: After typing "If This = That", press the return key and the IDE would automatically insert a "Then" and an "End If".)

- Also allow auto-completion via the space-bar and period keys, along with the current "Tab" key.

- Love the new screenshot, B4X has certainly grown up :)

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
interesting... although I don't like the initial start up times of .NET programs on XP as the framework is not preloaded as it might be on later OS's
but if it means improvements I can live with it ;)

I hope some old feature requests get added during this rewrite aswell like TDS mentioned
(treeview to seperate core & none core libs incl organizing them there, recursive additional lib folder search to organize libs on file/folder level ... or even better a libs folder lookup in the project folder then it's all sticked together :) )

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel - One new request for the new IDE:

New Designer Window:
Left side: ToolBox like UI for the UI elements.
Centered: The Designer View.
Right: Properties.

Make the ToolBox and Properties view dock-able. Also make the designer window itself dock-able window. (One window to rule them all)

Oh, and please add a "Dark" theme ;)