Time difference in loop

Blitzer

Licensed User
Hello,

so what is that?
(1.loop = 945ms / 2.loop = 48 ms)

B4X:
'Non-UI application (console / server application)
#Region Project Attributes
    #CommandLineArgs:
    #MergeLibraries: True
#End Region

Sub Process_Globals
    Public d,x,y As Int
    Public Feld(1921,1081) As Int
    Public RGB=5646469 As Int
End Sub

Sub AppStart (Args() As String)

Dim n As Long = DateTime.Now
    For d = 0 To 100
        For y = 0 To 1080
            For x = 0 To 1920
                Feld(x,y)=RGB
            Next
        Next
    Next
    Log($"1.Lauf: ${DateTime.Now - n}ms"$)

Dim n As Long = DateTime.Now
    For d = 0 To 100
        For x = 0 To 1920
            For y = 0 To 1080
                Feld(x,y)=RGB
            Next
        Next
    Next
    Log($"2.Lauf: ${DateTime.Now - n}ms"$)

End Sub

Blitzer

Blitzer

Licensed User
Hello,

it's a code snippet, but the result is not logical.
The array is the size of a screen...
1. loop = 1080 and 1920
2. loop = 1920 and 1080
The 2. loop is factor 20 faster!!!

Blitzer

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
My first thought is that you are aggravating the Cache Gods, especially if the array is not aligned to a 4-byte multiple, or the cache lines are large (eg 16 bytes).

The first case is accessing memory in giant steps spaced (1081 x 4) bytes apart, and probably every access causes a cache line miss/load. The second case is accessing memory sequentially, and one cache line miss/load serves multiple memory accesses.

btw what's with the extra-pixel vertically and horizontally in excess of HD 1920 x 1080?

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
isn't the reason that the feld array object has been used already (skipping init or pointer creations) ?

I notice this in some of my heavy routines aswell. second runs of the same code are always (a lot) faster.

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
I notice this in some of my heavy routines as well. second runs of the same code are always (a lot) faster.
1/ <JOKE>Never say never... or always...</JOKE>
2/ the speedups you observe are probably due to the just-in-time / runtime compilation needing to be done for the first run, with the compiled code still available (cached) for the second run ie no need to compile it again

Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
See this for an explanation how java handles a 2d array: https://stackoverflow.com/a/6631081

Now look at loop one. You are changing x for each iteration. That means you are loading a new pointer for each sub-array just to set one value of that sub-array. So you are switching sub-array pointers 1081x1921 times just to set 1081x1921 items.

In the second loop, you are switching sub-array pointers only 1921 times in order to set 1081x1921 items. So yes, you just sped up your 2d array access by quite a bit and that is reflected properly by the shortened runtime of your second example

Update: additionally, you are gaining benefits of the sequential access of the sub-arrays as pointed out by @emexes and @Erel

Upvote 0