B4J Tutorial [Tool] WindowsStorePackager - publish your App to the Windows Store

In this tutorial, I want to show you, how you can upload your Java Application to Windows Store. Here you can find a test Application in the Store.

System requirements:
  • Windows 10 Anniversary Update (10.0.14393.0 and later) Pro or Enterprise edition
  • 64-bit processor
  • Hardware-assisted virtualization
  • OpenJDK 11 with Jmods - can be downloaded from b4x.com: https://www.b4x.com/b4j.html
Required Tools:
After you have installed all the necessary components you are ready to create the Appx package with the WindowsStorePackager tool.

Create the Appx package:
1. Open WindowsStorePackager as administrator
2. Fill in all necessary fields:
  • The AppName must be the same as the app name in in the developer dashboard
  • The Version must have the following format: X.X.X.X → e.g. 0.0.0.1
  • Like in the B4JPackager11 you have the option to explicit include or exclude modules, use a comma as seperator
  • the values for the last three fields can be found in the "App identity" section of your App:
    APPID.PNG
3. Now hit the "Create" button to finally generate your package.

That's it. Now go to the latest submission of your App and upload the appx package.

Feel free to ask questions ;)

Last edited:

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
That's Incredible Jan ! Thanks very much ! I will try to upload my first app tomorrow !

trueboss323

Licensed User
Longtime User
When I try to build the msi, I get the error from the logs:
Waiting for debugger to connect...
Program started.
App identifier: com.chircosoft.main
Success: true
StdOut: Using base JDK at: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_131\jre
Using base JDK at: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_131\jre
Bundler MSI Installer skipped because of a configuration problem: Can not find WiX tools (light.exe, candle.exe).
Advice to fix: Download WiX 3.0 or later from http://wix.sf.net and add it to the PATH.
StdErr:
ExitCode: 0

I installed Wix. I don't know what it means by "add it to the path" , and I am still getting that error.

JanPRO

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

probably the environment variable "PATH" is meant, try this:
  1. Open the advanced system properties: C:\Windows\System32\SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe
  2. Click on "Environment Variables"
  3. Double Click on the Path variable under system variables
    add_to_PATH_thumb.png
  4. Add the bin folder of WIX as a new value (something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\WiX Toolset v3.11\bin")
  5. Restart your computer and try again
Jan

trueboss323

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you that worked. Now i face another problem, after I try uploading my app to the store it gives me this message:
Untitled.png

I wonder if both these errors have something to do with me not having runFullTrust permission, or did I do a mistake in the App manifest?

JanPRO

Licensed User
Longtime User

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

No it's not a mistake in the manifest. As presumed, this error is caused by the missing permission. You need to fill in this form: https://developer.microsoft.com/de-de/windows/projects/campaigns/desktop-bridge

Jan
Hello Jan,

Got a mail from microsoft like this ,

THE NEXT STEPS TO BRİNG YOUR APP/GAME THE MİCROSOFT STORE

Dear

Thank you for your interest in using Desktop Bridge to bring your app or game to the Microsoft Store. Now that you’ve submitted your information to our team, we’d like to give you a quick rundown on the process:

Our team will be doing the following:

• Step 1: Review the information you've submitted and reach out to you if we have any questions.
  • Step 2: Verify your app or game's compatibility with the Desktop Bridge and work with you to address any concerns.
  • Step 3: Enable your Dev Center account with the correct permissions and assist in getting your app or game published to the Microsoft Store.
  • Step 4: You will be contacted in 6 business days.
Your next step is to register on the Dev Center to create your publisher account.

Stay tuned for further updates from the Desktop Bridge team. We'll be in touch soon.

menas we continue to wait or good to go ?

trueboss323

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have waited for about 2 weeks now and I still have not gotten a response about my permission request. The last email I got from them was:
The next steps to bring your app/game the Microsoft Store

Dear ......,

Thank you for your interest in using Desktop Bridge to bring your app or game to the Microsoft Store. Now that you’ve submitted your information to our team, we’d like to give you a quick rundown on the process:

Our team will be doing the following:

• Step 1: Review the information you've submitted and reach out to you if we have any questions.
  • Step 2: Verify your app or game's compatibility with the Desktop Bridge and work with you to address any concerns.
  • Step 3: Enable your Dev Center account with the correct permissions and assist in getting your app or game published to the Microsoft Store.
  • Step 4: You will be contacted in 6 business days.
Your next step is to register on the Dev Center to create your publisher account.

Stay tuned for further updates from the Desktop Bridge team. We'll be in touch soon.

And they still have not contacted me yet.

JanPRO

Licensed User
Longtime User
And they still have not contacted me yet.
For me it took 12 days.

A small forewarning: After the supporter contacted me it took about 1 month til my app was finally in the Store o_O

I hope this was an exception ...

Jan

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Now I have this :
We understand you are interested in converting your Classic Win32/.NET app to a Store UWP app using Desktop App Converter.

I am the AppConsult Engineer who will be helping you with the conversion and store upload.

Let me know if we can begin working on this and I will share further details.

I’m briefing you with the process we will follow in order to convert, test and upload the app successfully on the store:

1. Convert the app:
    1. You can share the converted app on the workspace details I will share in the next email.
    2. If you have not converted the app and need help with conversion, you can share the msi/project files on the file share. I will convert the app and guide you about testing.
  2. Troubleshooting
    1. If you are facing issues during conversion, I can help you with the troubleshooting.
  3. Testing:
    1. Once the app is successfully converted, I will sign and test the app.
  4. Further Processing:
    1. The app will undergo further processing in order to get runfulltrust permission.
    2. This permission is needed for any Win32 converted app to be able to successfully get uploaded on the store.
  5. Store Upload:
    1. Once the permission is given, I will update you and you can upload the app on the store.

Feel free to share your questions and I will be glad to help you.

Before you start converting the app, I would request you to check once if the app you are planning to convert fits these prerequisites.

Also, please share details requested in the attached document. This information will be needed during processing of the app.

Thank you.

Good to go now ?
what a complicated process . OMG

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
There is no container feature on my settings. Any ideas ?
I had the same issue. When I got to the step where I had to run DeskTopAppConverter.exe it threw up a warning that Containers was not enabled, but then it enabled the setting & asked me to reboot. I haven't rebooted yet so I don't know if it worked, but the verbose log did confirm that Containers had been enabled.

- Colin.

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the great tutorial Jan. I managed to get all the way through it, but ran into an issue after the last step (changing the manifest & repackaging). The original .appx would run (even though it wouldn't install because it's not signed), however after modifying the manifest & repackaging it, the new (FINAL) .appx won't even run. When I double-click on it, I get a window pop up with the error "Cannot open appx/appxbundle file" & "Reason: Failed due to unknown reason".

I followed the steps exactly, so not sure what's going on...

- Colin.

JanPRO

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

can you send me the folder (which includes PackageFiles, logs, auto-generated.cer ...) which was generated by DesktopAppConverter?

even though it wouldn't install because it's not signed
Actually the package is already signed, if you want to run your App you need to install the generated certificate.

Jan

Computersmith64

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

can you send me the folder (which includes PackageFiles, logs, auto-generated.cer ...) which was generated by DesktopAppConverter?

Jan

I can - but it's about 75MB, so we'll have to decide how...

- Colin.