Android Question Unable to make trial version work

jschuchert

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am a licensed user from many years ago and currently have version 2.50 installed on my main computer and 2.52 on another computer, both running windows 7. My main computer will not now allow re-compiling (source option 5...) but the other one does. However, I prefer to work on the main machine. I have installed Java 8. I am willing to upgrade to B4A so installed the trial version on the main computer following the instructions but cannot seem to get past the following:
--can't find ...aapt.exe
--source option 5 no longer supported...
--will not open the sdk manager to install the recommended files
--no libraries appear to be loaded
--configure the paths although already filled in
--can't find the specified file (sdk manager.bat?)
--over 2000 files extracted from the zip file for the sdk
Since my app is too large for the trial, I would like to have a few samples to use.
I have also installed the trial on a windows 10 laptop and have almost the same results. Surely it shouldn't be that difficult for someone wanting to try the program but I admit I am not the sharpest tack in the box. Would the full version have the same installation procedure as the trial? I realize I have not gone into any detail for the above issues so hope someone can see through the problems and advise accordingly.
Is there a discount for licensed users to purchase the current version and would there still be the 30 day money back guarantee?
Thanks to all who offer their expertise.
Jim Schuchert

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

jschuchert

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was in ER so was delayed with my reply. When I click the sdkmanager button, it tells me the file cannot be found. Apparently sdkmanager.bat is not on my computer but don't know why. Same with laptop which is really weird. Which procedure should have installed it? Also Android-28. Should I start over?

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Apparently sdkmanager.bat is not on my computer but don't know why. Same with laptop which is really weird. Which procedure should have installed it?
- Download the zip for the android-tools.
- Extract the tools folder from the zip to an empty folder.

2. Android SDK

The path is [path to the empty folder where you placed the tools folder from the zip]\tools\bin\sdkmanager.bat

Upvote 0

jschuchert

Licensed User
Longtime User
- Download the zip for the android-tools.
- Extract the tools folder from the zip to an empty folder.

2. Android SDK

The path is [path to the empty folder where you placed the tools folder from the zip]\tools\bin\sdkmanager.bat

I downloaded the Android SDK tools zip again. Its default name was sdk-tools-windows-4333796.zip
There were 1825 files in it.
Since they were all in the tools folder, I extracted everything to a new folder Android2
Within it, only the android-sdk folder appeared and within it, (bin, lib, proguard, support)
Android2\android-sdk\tools\bin does contain a file named sdkmanager.bat
I opened the B4A program, - configure paths
Proxy host I entered the path Android2\android-sdk\tools\bin\sdkmanager.bat
Clicked OK
Clicked the button "Open SDK manager" and received the message "An error occurred, cannot find the file specified"...same as before...maybe its some other file meant?
Maybe there is some little thing I am missing but I don't want to take up more of your time on this. I will continue to try to figure it out. Thank you and others very much for your efforts.
Jim Schuchert

Upvote 0

jschuchert

Licensed User
Longtime User
Where have you posted this error?

I mentioned it in my first post in this thread. When I said "same as before", I meant that error message repeats itself each time I click the button to open the SDK manager after following the instructions given. Likely it is my problem, not yours.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Within it, only the android-sdk folder appeared and within it, (bin, lib, proguard, support)
Android2\android-sdk\tools\bin does contain a file named sdkmanager.bat
Android2 was your empty folder, right? Why there is a android-sdk folder? There yould only be the tools folder. Nothing more.

Do you have Teamviewer and i may can connect to your PC to help you configure it. Contact me in private message if you are interested. In aprox 20 Minutes i am at home and can help if needed.

Upvote 0

jschuchert

Licensed User
Longtime User
Android2 was your empty folder, right? Why there is a android-sdk folder? There yould only be the tools folder. Nothing more.

Do you have Teamviewer and i may can connect to your PC to help you configure it. Contact me in private message if you are interested. In aprox 20 Minutes i am at home and can help if needed.

Not sure about the extra folder but it's the path to the correct file that counts, isn't it? Seems like during one of my several attempts the tools folder was the only one. I do have team viewer. My time is 10:17 am MDT. Just click your name to start a conversation?

Upvote 0

jschuchert

Licensed User
Longtime User
Don Manfred has been a great help in getting the trial version configured for me. I found a sample from Klaus from several years ago. It loaded fine into the ide but about 2/3 through compiling, it threw 2 errors:
"Convert byte code - optimized dex." and "no command specified." Another of his examples did the same thing as did msgbox("Welcome to B4a") What are these errors telling me? I want to be sure my existing code from previous versions will work with 8.5. Please have patience with me.

Upvote 0