Android Question Updating an existing app made with Ecllipse (keystore issue)

Dan Harding

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have an application that I rewrote using B4a, but would like to post it on Google as an update to an existing app. I have seen some posts about not being able to do that directly in B4a unless that is where it was started (at least that the way I think it was meaning).

But it mentioned about compiling the app without signing it and then signing it afterward. For someone confused by that process (me), could someone provide a little more detail how to do that? I know I have the right keyStore and password (using the private sign key in B4a) but when I try to compile in release mode I get this error:

Signing package file (private key) Error

jarsigner: Certificate chain not found for: b4a. b4a must reference a valid KeyStore key entry containing a private key and corresponding public key certificate chain.

So I found related entries elsewhere on this forum. I just a little lost as to specifically what to do.

Thanks,

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Dan Harding

Licensed User
Longtime User
I received the same error as the user in the post:

Signing package file (private key) Error

jarsigner error: java.security.SignatureException: private key algorithm is not compatible with signature algorithm

So, I will pursue creating an unsigned apk and signing it manually

Upvote 0

Dan Harding

Licensed User
Longtime User
Following the instructions created a "aligned" version of the apk file for me. No errors that I could see. However, when I uploaded to a web page and used that URL to try to install the apk file on an Android phone, after download, I just see the message: Unfortunately, the Package installer has stopped.

Unless someone has some further ideas, I guess I am going instruct users to delete old app and install new one.

Upvote 0

Dan Harding

Licensed User
Longtime User
I tried using instructions which included using B4ABuilder to manually build the apk without signing and then using jarsigner (Must be JDK 6, not 7 or 8) and was just getting a message: App Not installed.

I discovered that my versionCode variable was set to 3 on my new B4a app and the most recent version on Google play had that set to 5. (I was comparing AndroidManifest.xml files) After changing that to 6 and going through the manual process one more time, it successfully updated over my existing app created from Ecllipse. Yeah!!

Upvote 0