Android Question USBSerial: Supported Devices

FredBerlin

Licensed User
Hi,

based on the USBSerialDemo for B4A (using the 2.4 library version) I built an application which works quite nicely,
but now I was forced to change the USB-to-Serial-Interface, since the manufacturer no longer produces the old hw-interface.

Unfortunately my application (and also the USBSerialDemo) doesn't work any longer, rejecting to open the serial interface.
Most likely the new chip is not (yet) supported in the 2.4 library version and I'd like to know what you recommend that I do.

Here the difference of the two hardware devices as shown within USBSerialDemo when trying to open the interface:

_________ WORKING ______NOT WORKING
Manufact.:_FTD____________FTDI
Product:___FT2____________USB <-> Serial Converter
Serial:_____AI0____________FT3FSMK2
DeviceID:__0x3EA__________0x3EA
Prod.ID:___0x6001_________0x6014
VendorID:__0x403__________0x403
max. Pack.:_64_____________512

Other apps (e.g. "Simple USB Terminal" found on F-Droid) seemlessly work with the new hardware,
so it's obvious that the driver doesn't support the device. Something I can do about it myself?

Best,
Fred

Last edited:

FredBerlin

Licensed User
I should also add, that I already tried using the generic FTDI driver as follows:

B4X:
usb1.SetCustomDevice(usb1.DRIVER_FTDI, 0x403, 0x6014)
Dim dev As Int
dev = usb1.Open(57600, 1)
' --> after that we have dev = USB_NONE

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FredBerlin

Licensed User
Not yet, but seems like you have the impression it could work with other/more hardware interfaces,
so I'll try it and report again.

Upvote 0

FredBerlin

Licensed User
Case closed: The hardware can be accessed using felUsbSerial.

We can add a newer type of the FTDI chips to the list of supported hardware, namely: FTDI Serial "FT3FSMK2", Product ID 0x6014.

Thank you, Erel!

Upvote 0