Android Question Using sdkversion 4, is there any drawback?

Discussion in 'Android Questions' started by incendio, Jul 1, 2015.

1. incendio

incendio Well-Known Member Licensed User

Hi guys,

I am using this on manifest file
    Code:
    AddManifestText(
    <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion=
    "4" />
    <supports-screens android:largeScreens=
    "true"
    android:normalScreens=
    "true"
    android:smallScreens=
    "true"
    android:anyDensity=
    "true"/>)
    The only reason is, I want to have a box style in EditText. Is there any drawback when using this old SDK?

If there is an alternative to have a box style in EditText from newer SDK, I would like to use it. Some of newer app, like WhatApps (ver 2.12.165) has a box style in its EditText, it seem it is not depend on OS version, how do they do this?

Thanks in advance.

2. canalrun

canalrun Well-Known Member Licensed User

Hello,
    I like the box style edit text also. I have a problem telling the difference between a label and an edit text – they both look the same.

This is a little embarrassing, but what I have done is put a gray panel the same size as the edit text behind the edit text as its parent. This gives an outline sort of similar to the old-style. You could probably use the new border property of B4A and get something that looks a little closer to the old-style.

I suppose the correct way to do this is to use custom styles and themes, but I'm not very familiar with those.

Barry.

3. incendio

incendio Well-Known Member Licensed User

Thanks for your replied, I have tried that, but the underline border below edit text still visible, which I don't like.