B4J Question Web3X Ethereum - questions

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel wrote:
For the outside viewer these technologies might look like one big ponzi scheme. This is what I thought up to a few months ago.
Please feel free to start a new thread for any question or comment.

1. What do you think about it now?
  2. What could it be useful for?

Last edited:

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
You do need to do some reading to understand the various components.
Blockchain by itself is very interesting as a distributed, immutable database.
Cryptocurrency is one application based on it. It is currently the most prominent application.
Tracking ownership of virtual or non-virtual assets is another clear use case (NFTs are one example of this use case).

The fact that every user has a key means that you can authenticate users, communicate safely with signed or encrypted messages and more.

As developers, we shouldn't ignore this growing field. Even if it is not clear to us where will it be in 10 years.

Now I need to post some examples of Web3X...

Upvote 0

Mark Turney

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'll take an initial shot at the questions:
  1. I think, as with any technology, it is simply another tool. Can be used for good/bad, legal/illegal, righteous/evil ... depends on the intent of the creator wielding the tool.
  2. Decentralization of the web would IMHO be wonderful. I think once most of us reached about 13-14 years old, we should have stopped relying on anyone else to moderate our personal interactions. Big Tech has become Big Brother (IE - "1984"), and although for illegal activities, that type of moderation can be useful, for ideas, processes, theorizing, or general banter ... people should be able to self-manage without authoritarian oversight.
Off my soap-box now. That was my $0.02 ;).

Upvote 0

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
ETH gas fees are too high, new projects by companies choose BSC (binance smart chain or polygon) these days but this is a very good feature I wanted to have. Thanks Erel. Welcome to blockchain's unlimited world. web3 is the future!

Upvote 0

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have added the folder and b4x lib to additional libs folder and I am getting an error like this: What Am I missing?

B4X:
javac 1.8.0_271
src\b4j\example\web3x.java:561: error: local variable request is accessed from within inner class; needs to be declared final
                return new Object[] {true, request.send()};
                                           ^
1 error

Upvote 0

AHilton

Licensed User
Longtime User
It'll be interesting to see where you take this, Erel. We've been developing solutions based on the blockchain technology for our legal, law enforcement and medical clients for several years now. In B4J and B4A for some of it, too. Basically, to track chain-of-custody, medical device/procedure/medicine and document management. It could be called "ownership", of a sort, from the traditional (coin) blockchain terminology.

We've always seen it as just another database but with the value-add of being distributed, immutable, trackable, and (sort-of) "easily" accessed (of course, a LOT of databases are those things but not nearly as easy). Not so much with the whole "social upheaval" and pie-in-the-sky society and the way we work will all change sort of thing, though. I'll leave that up to the sales and market types.

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I must have a blank spot in seeing the utility of all this. I have been reading articles like the one posted by Mark above and all I see is content free (to me) marketing style gobbledygook. I think my vocabulary must have entirely different semantics to that of those who write such articles. :(

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I will try to inform myself better, given my doubts,

1 - If "Big Tech has become Big Brother" will not be able to supervise, why is Web3X a client? To put it better, there is a central server.
2 - reading about minining referring only to cryptocurrencies, the very high need for calculation is highlighted, so I don't know how to see it as a database; also, if each client needs to have their own complete and up-to-date copy ...!

P.S. I looked at Erel's first example; I think it would be easier for me to learn Chinese šŸ˜„ :confused:! (what are all those links? Mah).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Turney

Licensed User
Longtime User
I must have a blank spot in seeing the utility of all this. I have been reading articles like the one posted by Mark above and all I see is content free (to me) marketing style gobbledygook. I think my vocabulary must have entirely different semantics to that of those who write such articles. :(

Excerpt: "And they are still just tools. Alongside their capacity for computation is their role in enhancing coordination, or the ability of humans to communicate, transact, and investigate productively, together. Peer-to-peer digital tools such as blockchain technology offer an opportunity for an opening, a dispersion of power and information, and profound possibilities for collaboration on as-yet-unseen scales."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AHilton

Licensed User
Longtime User
I will try to inform myself better, given my doubts,

1 - If "Big Tech has become Big Brother" will not be able to supervise, why is Web3X a client? To put it better, there is a central server.
2 - reading about minining referring only to cryptocurrencies, the very high need for calculation is highlighted, so I don't know how to see it as a database; also, if each client needs to have their own complete and up-to-date copy ...!

P.S. I looked at Erel's first example; I think it would be easier for me to learn Chinese šŸ˜„ :confused:! (what are all those links? Mah).

Focus on the underlying tech and not the hype/marketing. And (for your #2), don't confuse the application (mining cryptocurrency/ecoin/etc.) with the (in my own opinion far more important) storage/database tech of blockchain. You *could* have a central server for blockchain but that defeats a huge benefit of it ... distributed/replicated storage and accessibility.

For the record, I'm not a hype-person for blockchain; certainly not for ecoin or the marketing junk that goes along with the latest new internet-shattering concept to come along. I just see blockchain as another tool in the belt that solves some problems and provides some interesting new opportunities in software development.

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
While most of this essay has focused on ways in which peer-to-peer digital technologies can counteract the reductionist direction of machine dependence and enable greater human participation and autonomy in digital spaces,
Hmm! Like I said there is something about this that just washes over me without understanding - I'm probably just too old for this.

Upvote 0

AHilton

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hmm! Like I said there is something about this that just washes over me without understanding - I'm probably just too old for this.
Why don't you understand it? You've seen the same marketing hype for the last 30+ years in computer tech. They're following a script and it was written a LONG time ago (in computer tech years). Every major "advancement" gets the same treatment. Small polishes to the script from time to time but it's all the same. Cut through all of that. Dismiss it for what it is and get to the actual tech stuff. YOU're not meant to understand that passage. That's for the CEO's, university tech students and other marketers to try and get resources directed their direction without any actual committing to produce anything.

Put that Cray-2 in your pic to use and create a Superior Hype Interpretive Translator service.

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Why don't you understand it?
Probably because I am a high functioning autistic and lots of things don't make literal sense to me - but the logical pedantry made me very good at my job šŸ˜

PS: It's a Cray I, the Cray 2 was a liquid cooled cylinder
Cray2cascade1.jpg

Upvote 0

Mark Turney

Licensed User
Longtime User
I started this course to learn more:

And here is another article which very well explains Web 3.0:

Happy learning!

Upvote 0

Waldemar Lima

Licensed User
have a way to transfer NFT or NFT token using Binance Smart Chain (BEP20) network ?
I believe that Binance Smart Chain travels over the Ethereum network. Does anyone have any idea how to proceed?
it appears that https://moralis.io , supports Binance Smart Chain at the same time as the Ethereum Network.

1641578566756.png

Upvote 0