What language does E ... l use?

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
But what is the language that was used to create the B4X IDE environment?

For the environment, I suppose it started with a purchased editor that he customized, but the translator, the corrector that reports typing errors and everything else will have done personally.
So I suppose that's the language he knows best.

Here's my question ... What is the longuaggio that E..l (unnamed) knows best?

Obviously it's just a curiosity, I'm not going to abandon B4X in favor of this language (perhaps)

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
I know for sure its C#
there are sprinkles of this knowledge in several posts in the forum.

first example that comes to my mind:
where its mentioned that the ide is a net program. i know there are more than one language for net, but there are other clues out there.

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What is the longuaggio that E..l (unnamed) knows best?
I've 'known' Erel for about 15 years now, from Basic4ppc to helping test the first pre-release versions of B4A. I believe his 'first language' was writing Java for a large computer firm that you will have heard of. In fact Java and C# are so similar that you can write quite good C# in Java, as I do, although there are differences - in the implementation of generics for instance. String comparison is a common trip-up difference, the = operator doesn't work in Java and you need to use the equals method.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Here's my question ... What is the longuaggio that E..l (unnamed) knows best?
Sorry to be boring but the language I know and like best is B4X :)

As written above the IDE is written in C# (WPF), the B4A and B4J frameworks (libraries) are written in Java, B4i libraries written in Objective C and B4R libraries are written in C++.

I don't like WPF at all. It is powerful but it is an anti-RAD framework.

SayCheese

Licensed User
I've 'known' Erel for about 15 years now, from Basic4ppc to helping test the first pre-release versions of B4A. I believe his 'first language' was writing Java for a large computer firm that you will have heard of. In fact Java and C# are so similar that you can write quite good C# in Java, as I do, although there are differences - in the implementation of generics for instance. String comparison is a common trip-up difference, the = operator doesn't work in Java and you need to use the equals method.
Mmmhh, C# and Java perhaps have similarities by syntax but not quite as similar in architecture. Oke, they both have a garbage collector but coming from C#, Java is still not a very transparant and friendly language.
The main question is:
If you say "In fact Java and C# are so similar", why would someone as Erel use C# instead of Java. Because he has way more experience using Java as you said " I believe his 'first language' was writing Java ". This makes no sense if you are right. I think .NET is the main reason. Erel probably could have written it as easy in VB.NET.

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
But VB.NET is pretty much dying/dead because of C# being more powerful and continuing to gain new features while VB.NET stagnates. This is my opinion, but I think the VB crowd that this particular language was targeted for moved on because of how foreign VB.NET actually was. At least thats been my personal experience. I abandoned VB after VB6 because of the language not being VB anymore, you could pretty much write in C# at that point.

SayCheese

Licensed User
I abandoned VB after VB6 because of the language not being VB anymore, you could pretty much write in C# at that point.
Yes, that's my point. So, Erel probably could have written it as easy in VB.NET which uses the same underlying architecture. I think .NET was the reason Erel used C#. He must have seen a big advantage not using Java.

SayCheese

Licensed User
Yes, Java load time was very slow when Erel released B4A, i.e. basic4ppc, on windows.

Regards

Anand
That sure is something to leave Java. But that doesn't explain why he used C#. If speed was a concern C++ would had been a better option.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Pocket PC and Windows Mobile, up to version 6.5, were basically a version of Windows 95 running on ARM with a Windows CE kernel. Importantly they implemented the .NET Compact Framework which was a subset of the full .NET Framework that most importantly included a subset of Windows Forms. C# was the natural language to program for this platform. Basic4ppc was a desktop WinForms IDE programmed in C# that transpiled to C# and then compiled for the device. The device compatibility was good enough that you could take a Basic4ppc compiled program and run it on the desktop as well as on the device - even many of the native P/Invoke dll calls were usable on the device. I really miss those days although Basic4ppc still lives on as a desktop IDE on my computers - although heavily modified to support high DPI displays and other such modern fripperies.

Last edited:

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
YO @Erel !

Are you ears burning like fire : they're talking about you somewhere out here.....;)

PSSSSt Guys, teacher's listening you know . . . . 👻better go behind the bike shed before you talk so loud. . . .🚴‍♂️

hehehehe

Windows Mobile
STUPIDEST dumbest phone I ever ever had........