B4R Question Which boards to get?

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I wanted to start to play with B4R and create some projects for the sake of learning and fun. I need to order some boards in order for me to get started but I am confused.

When I read the B4RExampleProjects, I saw there is a board name ESP8622 on page 5 and at the last pages sometimes it is written as ESP8266. I think the latter is the correct name. Then I browse an online shop which is selling a few options of WIFI module. I read more and learned that ESP32 is a newer board which is more powerful. In the guide, it doesn’t mention about this board. Maybe at the time of writing, ESP32 is still new and the SDK is not mature enough. I also scan through the B4R releases Change Log and found ESP32 is supported in later versions.

Question 1: Should I just order ESP32 and forget about ESP8266?
If yes then I think the guide should be updated to recommend the newer board. Unless if someone want to get the cheaper and older board.
24989E0B-51F5-4C5A-A279-82C1A960EF47.jpeg

Question 2: If I get ESP32 then I might as well skip to order the HC05 Bluetooth module?
ESP32 is already built in with WiFi and Bluetooth support.
FA411AB7-EBC8-47C5-A501-357208AA592B.jpeg

Question 3: Should I order Arduino UNO + ESP32 combo so I can follow the B4RExampleProjects guide?
If I only order either one then I may not able to follow all the examples.

Question 4: Is it recommended to get Arduino UNO R3 instead of Arduino Mega 2560 where the latter is slightly more expensive and less popular?
I found a cheaper package with UNO but lack of ultrasonic range sensor so I need to purchase it separately.
23803CC0-42E2-421D-A25A-56D27402FE98.jpeg

Last edited:

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I saw there is a board name ESP8622 on page 5 and at the last pages sometimes it is written as ESP8266.
Thank you for reporting this. The correct name is ESP8266.
Amended for the next update.

The ESP32 is an evolution of the ESP8266, I have not tested it.

Upvote 0

William Lancee

Licensed User
Longtime User
You just need the ESP32 (it has all the features of Arduinos, plus WiFi and BT). Make sure to get a "development" version. It has pins that can plug into a solderless breadboard and a serial micro usb port.

Get a small breadboard with at least dual sections, the ESP spans the center. And get some Dupont colored wires (male/male).
For more complicated stuff you will need a variety of resistors, capacitors, and LEDs.

The power comes from the micro usb port.

The big difference between the examples for ESP32, ESP8266 and Arduino is the Pin assignment, you'll have to get charts from the internet.

Upvote 0

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If to try to choose MCUs for "simple" (by the peripherals HW) commercial projects - ESP8266 is still one of the best choice, by price and low power consumption.
But if these parameters are not so important - sure, better to try more modern MCUs.

Upvote 0

maXim

Licensed User
Longtime User
... also experiment with the ESP32 WEMOS D1 MINI can be a good start (considering the WEMOS modules with different sensors ready for use)...

002.png

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 157
  • D1 Mini ESP32 (pinout).pdf
    276.2 KB · Views: 175
Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It seems interesting to me. What are differences between NodeMCU V2 and NodeMCU V3 Lolin (Ch340g) ?
If to try to choose MCUs for "simple" (by the peripherals HW) commercial projects - ESP8266 is still one of the best choice, by price and low power consumption.
But if these parameters are not so important - sure, better to try more modern MCUs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What are differences between NodeMCU V2 and NodeMCU V3 Lolin (Ch340g) ?
I do not remember a difference. Excepting the COM-port number due to different USB UART chipset drivers. And i use also v.1 of NodeMCU, as stored some with the antenna socket for external antenna. And compiling always for the same board version, latest in B4R.

Upvote 0

maXim

Licensed User
Longtime User
What are those sensors? Does it come with light or humidity sensors?
... as I have already written in my previous message, the version of ESP32 WEMOS D1 MINI has several shields some of which are visible in the attached images... just perform a web search to find many others with examples and solutions ready to 'use...
M011.jpg
S001.jpg
S002.jpg
S003.jpg
S004.jpg
S005.jpg
S006.jpg
S007.jpg
S008.jpg
S009.jpg
S010.jpg
S011.jpg
S012.jpg
S013.jpg
S014.jpg
S015.jpg

Attachments

• S016.jpg
    S016.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 0

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
I wanted to start to play with B4R and create some projects for the sake of learning and fun. I need to order some boards in order for me to get started but I am confused.

When I read the B4RExampleProjects, I saw there is a board name ESP8622 on page 5 and at the last pages sometimes it is written as ESP8266. I think the latter is the correct name. Then I browse an online shop which is selling a few options of WIFI module. I read more and learned that ESP32 is a newer board which is more powerful. In the guide, it doesn’t mention about this board. Maybe at the time of writing, ESP32 is still new and the SDK is not mature enough. I also scan through the B4R releases Change Log and found ESP32 is supported in later versions.

Question 1: Should I just order ESP32 and forget about ESP8266?
If yes then I think the guide should be updated to recommend the newer board. Unless if someone want to get the cheaper and older board.
View attachment 127459

Question 2: If I get ESP32 then I might as well skip to order the HC05 Bluetooth module?
ESP32 is already built in with WiFi and Bluetooth support.
View attachment 127458

Question 3: Should I order Arduino UNO + ESP32 combo so I can follow the B4RExampleProjects guide?
If I only order either one then I may not able to follow all the examples.

Question 4: Is it recommended to get Arduino UNO R3 instead of Arduino Mega 2560 where the latter is slightly more expensive and less popular?
I found a cheaper package with UNO but lack of ultrasonic range sensor so I need to purchase it separately.
View attachment 127460
I started with UNO and NANO Arduino - later decided that ESP32 would have been a much better unit to start with - mostly it's more flexible with more opportunities. The UNO and NANO are fine but the memory limit and number of pins restricted things for what I was trying out. The MEGA would be better than UNO simply because it has more memory - with the UNO/NANO things gor a bit tight when the sketch/code grew. These are great if you want to learn tight coding where space forces you to be efficient.

My 1-cent worth is go for ESP32 - there are some that come with built-in OLED and some with a couple of built-in sensors - don't recall what. BUT a straight ESP32 will serve you well - the big drawback is that it doesn't have real-time clock - but I hook mine to an NTP server and run a code portion to carry the clock on. It also ensures that just after midnight it gets accurate time. My next thing is to get two ESP32 units to talk to each other using their built-in protocols - - - check RandomNerds for lots on using these things. You can PM if you want a different conversation.

Upvote 0

pliroforikos

Licensed User
Well, i think if it is the first time you are using microcontrollers you should start with an original Uno. You will be sure that it will work. Then continue with a simple Esp8266-01 and connect it to arduino. It is very easy and you will have wifi. After you have experience check and other boards. Esp32 is very good but you dont need it for every project due to higher cost. Sometimes you will burn some of them so always keep some spare unos and nanos.

Upvote 0

eric19740521

Licensed User
Longtime User
Add. When you start to use hc-05 to do at command setting, you will see that there are several versions of HC-05. The version you bought is better to set..

Upvote 0