[Wish/Bug?] Designer layouts not working very well with ICS style

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think supporting holo theme will be very important in the future. Erel changed the designer.apk so that it will support ICS style on ICS devices and this is a great improvement (Thanks, Erel)

But I see one big problem creating layouts for different Android versions with their different styles with the designer. The designer sets many properties even if you don't change them. One is the text color (and size) for buttons and edittexts.

The default text color of an edittext is black in the designer. This works well on Android <=2.3.7 because the default edittext background is white. This changed with the default Holo theme (dark) and now the background of the Edittext is transparent and the normal activity background is black. So if you leave the defaults in the designer you get black text on black background in editext views. If you change the textcolor to white it will work on Honeycomb/ICS devices but then you can't see the text in <=2.3.7 devices because you get white on white.

I think this is a serious problem if you want to create nice looking apps that work on all android versions.

The solution would be a change in the designer. Every property should get a "default" value in the designer so if the property is set to "default" then the LoadLayout() routine should not set this property.

Perhaps there are other solutions to the problem (Erel often surprised me with his great solutions for such problems) but I think this problem should be addressed very soon since we now have a mixture of nonICS/ICS devices on the market and B4A should optimally support them all.

Some more discusson about the problem was here.