{wishes} top 15 layout designer upgrades

wheretheidivides

Licensed User
Longtime User
Here are some thing i'd like see added to the layout designer

1) when you click on a button, have the 'text style' open. for some reason it is closed. or at the very least have it remember what your last input was (open or closed)

2) have a graphical tree chart of the panels. So I click on a panel and it shows all elements on that panel, then sub panels and so forth. maybe show them in folders as groups and then be able to print them. Sort of like how web page designers show tree charts of linked web pages.

3) have visual representation of item in a box. So I click on a button, i'd like to see what it looks like enabled and disabled and pressed on the designer. maybe at the bottom. I know we hook up devices to see, but would be nice as some items are under other items. Maybe at bootom of designer you could have a 'show item' box just for selected item.

4)Would be good to sort 'parent' list. now it's a jumbled mess out of order.

5) would be nice if colors showed both RBV values and name of color. currently it's one or the other and can not figure out color. first time you selct with color, but after reopening designer only shows RGC color.

6) would be nice to save last colors/names of colors. also any colors being used. that way I can just click on a color that another button is using.

=========================
7) abstract designer doesn't show proportion correctly. I have it set at phone 320x480 with zoom at 100% and it shows longer aspect ration of phone hooked up. That should be matched connect device. Doesn't show properly.

8) designer scripts doesn't work properly either. I mentioned this in earlier messages.

and don't say that are not buggy cause they are.
=========================
9) would ne nice to be able to open a second abstract designer as a work area and then be able to click and drag buttons/panels/labels from one designer to another.

10) would be nice if you could 'select all on a panel' instead of having to click every single button and panel

11) would be nice if 'text' and 'multiline text' were WUSIWUG. Have the box the same width and height as the label. That way when typing in stuff, you can see what it'll look like without having to hook up a device to see.

12) would be nice to have 2 orientations open at the same time, portrait and landscape. only one would be sent to device. that way you can see what both look like at same time in 2 abstract designers and 1 on hooked up phone.

13) would be nice to have padding on panels. you would have 'padding' and then set it to 5, 5, 10, 10 (left, right, top, bottom). Then anything you put into the abstract designer adhears to the padding. If you put a new label onto a panel, it adhears to that padding. This would be a tool so all of the panels look the same.

14) when coping over a panel (with stuff on it) or really anything, would be nice to have new names the same as old one. so I duplicate view called 'Pwhatever123', currently the name of the new panel would be next open like 'Panel7'. I'd like it to be 'Pwhatever123COPY'. or a compromise is a setting that will let you do one or the other. that way you can selct it to go to next open panel name or panel name with copy at the end.

15) Would be nice to be able to set default names. currently when I create a new label (Label2), a new panel (Panel3), listview(ListView1), editext(EditText1). I'd like a screen to pop up to be able to set them
a) Defult names that b4A uses 'Button"
b) names that user sets 'Butt"
c) Common association like 'Btn'

just my 4 cents worth

BONUS!
16) would be nice to have buttons on top of the designer like on the IDE. You can save on the IDE by clicking on the save button, but can not on the designer. Just a consistenty thing.
17) how about a align in the abstract designer? Maybe click on several objects and have them align horizontally or vertically? Or space out evenly? center on panel. you know the things you'd find in photoshop or any other graphics program?

Last edited:

aalekizoglou

Licensed User
Longtime User
+1 for aligning multiple views on designer

+1 for copying views / multiple views from one designer to another

+1 for toolbar on designer (open, save, add a view)

+1 for saving designer's files (.bal) to text rather than binary

+1 opening multiple designers

+1 treeview of views on designer