Android Question Work with .XLSX under Android (10.2019)

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, All

Any lib for B4A to work with .xlsx?
Old .xls files are limited by 256 columns per sheet max.

Last edited:

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks, Don, but unfortunately i don´t know ... java to program, just read and understand basically.

Upvote 0

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Unfortunately most useful functions need Java knowledge, so you might want to start using Android Studio instead of B4X. Android Studio is much more intuitive now, if in the past it was hard to use, it might be worth a try again.
I understand now that many of our expert members have prior experience of Android Studio and they can see the difference of ease of use vis a vis AS and B4A, and fine tune B4A with their AS knowledge.

But for most beginners like us, it is daunting to learn Java and AS compare to B4A, so trying AS requires substantial patient and time, which is rather in short supply nowadays.

Regards,

Anand

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Under the line it is just easy. I do not have the java knowledge to build a complete app using AS at all.

But i have some basic knowledge on how java objects are working in a JAR/AAR/in android.

And my different library wraps did help me do get some more knowledge. :cool:

Upvote 0

rtek1000

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, I had more ease with B4A (B4X) because I previously made some programs with VB6, then VB.net. But B4A support needs people who know how to convert Java code into libraries that can be used directly on B4A without having to "understand Java."

Every time someone writes, "Knowledge in Java is mandatory," I understand it as "Stop using programs (B4X) that keep you away from the main program (Android Studio) now.".

This is a feeling I've noticed since I started use B4A when I was still in version 4 (if I'm not mistaken in 2014 maybe).

If the IDE doesn't have easy support, then the user will waste time learning how to use B4X, then learning what they should have learned from the beginning, Java.

Upvote 0

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Interesting discussion, but it cannot change anything.
And it's fully offtopic discussion ...
Maybe in the future we will have many new libs, just don't worry and be happy now... ;)

Upvote 0

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think, one thing as per plan B of Erel (He said in some thread of B4X long life existence or something like that) is,
b4xlib

It is NOT compiled java code, but has the CODE in a zip file. So one with some knowledge can understand the codes and make changes/reuse in different scenario, if required.

Libraries made by masters in jar format are difficult for users if it does not work or the codes is deleted/lost. b4alib saves both developer and user, IMHO, and is very good initiative from Erel.

Regards,

Anand

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't understand your point.
Every time someone writes, "Knowledge in Java is mandatory,"
Zero knowledge in Java is required in order to develop with B4A.
Writing a Java library or wrapping a Java library, requires some Java knowledge.

There are thousands of libraries available. If you need access to a Java library and are unable to implement it yourself then either make a feature request or post a request in the job offers forum.

Upvote 0

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't understand your point.

Zero knowledge in Java is required in order to develop with B4A.
Writing a Java library or wrapping a Java library, requires some Java knowledge.

There are thousands of libraries available. If you need access to a Java library and are unable to implement it yourself then either make a feature request or post a request in the job offers forum.

Erel, allow me to clarify from point of view of rtek1000.

He did not mean what you understood, IMHO.

We are master/expert developer in our field. We are new to Android world. You, Don, Star-Dust,Klaus,BrandSum (to name a few) masters have made numerous brilliant libraries and have offered them for free to us beginners to use, even commercially. But in spite of having all for free a 'developer' longs for making his/her own function/library.

I long for it.

I have and am developing libraries/functions in XBase++, AutoIt, AutoHotkey to name a few. This is no boosting but the fact that I feel helpless when I try to make function in B4A. I have zero knowledge of Java.

Or if you prefer that we just use your and other masters given libraries and be happy, then sorry, I could not put my heart feeling correctly. Please forgive me for writing the message.

Regards,

Anand

Upvote 0

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
HA, Don !
You are the real man. Read hot topic, and closed it by the wrap.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
note that i did not did much tests.
1st checked a xlsx i have with private data. Works.
I then changed a existing value in this. works

2nd i checked b4xgoodies.xlsx. works

3rd i checked the book1.xls from the old tutorial. i created an xlsx from it first. works.
i then build the example on this xlsx. Finally i added a new row here with data as seen in the example.

Feel free to donate for it ;-)

I´m sure some things will raise an error :)

Upvote 0

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks, donated a bit. And incite others who interested in .xlsX to do the same: my topic helped us all to get the needed lib :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0