Android Question Android.jar: Should we go to 28? (aka "missing ressources")

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Today I've opened an older project and a "missing android.support:versionedparcelable (maven)" error occured. No problem but I was wondering why it showed up because I'm using Android.jar from SDK 27 and it was found under 28.

So should we go to 28? (I assume then it will be shown as "recommended" to download automatically)

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I did changed the Android.jar to be the one from SDK 28.
Everything is working as of now. Note that you should not change the targetsdk in Manifest. Just change the Android.jar used.

Upvote 0

rboeck

Licensed User
Longtime User
Today i had the same problem like @KMatle, i remove the old android sdk folder and tried an clean install. I set the path to android.jar in android-28.
I could not see any errors, but in my projects there are several files missing, like "android.support:versionedparcelable (maven)" ,"collection" etc. so dont understand, why?

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
but in my projects there are several files missing, like "android.support:versionedparcelable (maven)" ,"collection" etc. so dont understand, why?
Open the SDK Manager an manually search for

- collections
- versionedparcelable
- ect.
Install them manually and try again.

Upvote 0

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I could not see any errors, but in my projects there are several files missing, like "android.support:versionedparcelable (maven)" ,"collection" etc. so dont understand, why?

I assume the sdk manager just checks if there's an update of once used/downloaded ressources. Google likes to move ressources from a to b or so. Maybe there's a chance for Erel to check if a ressource is missing (we got an error message, so B4a get's it) and download it automatically (or a message like "new ressources need to be downloaded")

Upvote 0

rboeck

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for your information; finaly i got it working with SDK 28.
I lost hours, i could not believe, that this is now normal behaviour. My complete uninstall work was useless; the only thing i want to know, what happend - all older projects are unchanged - what and who changed what?

Upvote 0

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My complete uninstall work was useless

Ouch. You really did an uninstall? :eek::cool:

Hm. I know that missing ressources thing quite a while and how to solve it. This - let's say "behaviour" - is non B4a related. As Manfred mentioned, it's just Google like "Ok, I'm quite bored. Let's remove ressources from SDK 27 and put them to 28. But (of course) only *some*, not all. Let's see, if the developers get it.

Upvote 0

CaptKronos

Licensed User
Just experienced the same problem. After changing to the Android.jar from SDK 28, as per DonManfred's suggestion, I got board of the cycle of prompts and fixing of the missing Maven packages, so just selected and installed all the version 28 Maven packages from the SDK Manager's list. That fixed it for me. I think there was about 20 packages.

Upvote 0