Android Question AVD Manager fails

Rusty

Licensed User
I have installed the new Java, Android SDK etc. according to the main page at B4a instructions.
When I run the AVD Manager (which I downloaded from Erel's post https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/gui-avd-manager-emulator.80348/#content )
When I Run the AVD Manager install I get:
Loading package information... Loading local repository... Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\build-tools\19.1.0\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\build-tools\24.0.3\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\build-tools\27.0.1\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\build-tools\27.0.2\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\emulator\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\extras\intel\Hardware_Accelerated_Execution_Manager\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\patcher\v4\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\platform-tools\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\platforms\android-19\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\platforms\android-21\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\platforms\android-22\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\platforms\android-23\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\platforms\android-24\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\platforms\android-25\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\platforms\android-26\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\platforms\android-27\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\platforms\android-28\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\system-images\android-24\default\x86\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\system-images\android-28\default\x86_64\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\tools\package.xml
[ ] 3% Loading local repository... [ ] 3% Fetch remote repository... [ ] 3% Fetch remote repository... [= ] 3% Fetch remote repository... [= ] 4% Fetch remote repository... [= ] 4% Fetch remote repository... [= ] 4% Fetch remote repository... [= ] 5% Fetch remote repository... [= ] 5% Fetch remote repository... [= ] 5% Fetch remote repository... [= ] 5% Fetch remote repository... [= ] 5% Fetch remote repository... [= ] 5% Fetch remote repository... [= ] 5% Fetch remote repository... [== ] 5% Fetch remote repository... [== ] 5% Fetch remote repository... [== ] 5% Fetch remote repository... [== ] 5% Fetch remote repository... [== ] 5% Fetch remote repository... [== ] 6% Fetch remote repository... [== ] 6% Fetch remote repository... [== ] 6% Fetch remote repository... [== ] 6% Fetch remote repository... [== ] 6% Fetch remote repository... [== ] 6% Computing updates... [=== ] 8% Computing updates... [=== ] 8% Computing updates... [=== ] 10% Computing updates...
Then when I run the AVD manager, it blows up with:
upload_2018-10-14_12-55-0.png

I have no idea what to do about this... any advice is very welcome!
Thanks,
Rusty

kisoft

Licensed User
HI
maybe install a newer java.
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_181\bin\javac.exe

JohnK

Licensed User
Can you post a screenshot of B4A Sdk Manager (the first screen)?
201810161535 SDK Manager.PNG
Thanks for looking at this for me.

No items are selected. Yesterday, a number of items were selected, so I downloaded/installed them all. ie the ones that were auto selected.

HI
maybe install a newer java.
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_181\bin\javac.exe
I had a look, and although I actually do have the C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_181\bin\ directory, there is no "javac.exe" file in that directory.
201810161535 Select Javac.PNG

JohnK

Licensed User
it is in the JDK, not the JRE
jdk1.8.0_141\bin\javac.exe
The Screenshot you posted points to a JRE-Folder.
Yep, I missed updating the JDK, Its now updated, and the path has been reconfigured, but it did not magically fix the error above. DOH!

JohnK

Licensed User
Download the SDK again and copy it to a new folder.
Yep, that got it working. The steps I actually took were.
Backed up the folder
Deleted the folder and contents
Unzipped the new one into the folder
Started the SDK Manager, and noticed I had to re-download a bunch of items (no real problem) However, the USB driver doesnt appear to download/instyall, and stays selected every time. I also get a warning about my6 version of adb on a VM start.
Started the AVD Manager
Created an avd
It started and connected to B4A

However, I did notice I had a LOT less options for devices and configuration than I had recently (which I also had working) using the "standard" AVD manager

Is this suppose to be the case? I only have the following, whereas before I had many many many more.

201810162118 Limited phones.PNG

JohnK

Licensed User
I appear to have the new version of AVD Manager and emulator up and running. which does include a heap more options, and also connects to B4A.

JohnK

Licensed User

JohnK

Licensed User
Do you have a c: drive? Make a test and move the SDK folder to that drive.
If this does appear to be an issue, and you have space limits on your C drive, just an FYI I have a tiny tiny RAID 1 2xSSD as my C which was running out of space (especially after installing and creating some Emulators with 4GB SDCards....) What I have been doing for the last couple of years is to junction off my big mechanical RAID onto my C drive (ie it looks like the files are also on my C drive to the system) eg the following places a directory on C drive from the H drive source (ie the actual files/data).
B4X:
mklink /D /J "C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Android" "H:\JunctionSources\C_Users_John_AppData_Local_Android"
ie you could run a similar line to the above without having to actually move your files, and it takes bytes of storage on the C. Just an idea.

I have been running many apps and their data this way for some time now.