Android Question AVD Manager fails

Rusty

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have installed the new Java, Android SDK etc. according to the main page at B4a instructions.
When I run the AVD Manager (which I downloaded from Erel's post https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/gui-avd-manager-emulator.80348/#content )
When I Run the AVD Manager install I get:
Loading package information... Loading local repository... Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\build-tools\19.1.0\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\build-tools\24.0.3\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\build-tools\27.0.1\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\build-tools\27.0.2\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\emulator\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\extras\intel\Hardware_Accelerated_Execution_Manager\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\patcher\v4\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\platform-tools\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\platforms\android-19\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\platforms\android-21\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\platforms\android-22\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\platforms\android-23\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\platforms\android-24\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\platforms\android-25\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\platforms\android-26\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\platforms\android-27\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\platforms\android-28\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\system-images\android-24\default\x86\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\system-images\android-28\default\x86_64\package.xml
Info: Parsing D:\android-sdk\tools\package.xml
[ ] 3% Loading local repository... [ ] 3% Fetch remote repository... [ ] 3% Fetch remote repository... [= ] 3% Fetch remote repository... [= ] 4% Fetch remote repository... [= ] 4% Fetch remote repository... [= ] 4% Fetch remote repository... [= ] 5% Fetch remote repository... [= ] 5% Fetch remote repository... [= ] 5% Fetch remote repository... [= ] 5% Fetch remote repository... [= ] 5% Fetch remote repository... [= ] 5% Fetch remote repository... [= ] 5% Fetch remote repository... [== ] 5% Fetch remote repository... [== ] 5% Fetch remote repository... [== ] 5% Fetch remote repository... [== ] 5% Fetch remote repository... [== ] 5% Fetch remote repository... [== ] 6% Fetch remote repository... [== ] 6% Fetch remote repository... [== ] 6% Fetch remote repository... [== ] 6% Fetch remote repository... [== ] 6% Fetch remote repository... [== ] 6% Computing updates... [=== ] 8% Computing updates... [=== ] 8% Computing updates... [=== ] 10% Computing updates...
Then when I run the AVD manager, it blows up with:
upload_2018-10-14_12-55-0.png

I have no idea what to do about this... any advice is very welcome!
Thanks,
Rusty

JohnK

Licensed User
Longtime User
Last edited:
Upvote 0

kisoft

Licensed User
Longtime User
HI
maybe install a newer java.
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_181\bin\javac.exe

Upvote 0

JohnK

Licensed User
Longtime User
Can you post a screenshot of B4A Sdk Manager (the first screen)?
201810161535 SDK Manager.PNG
Thanks for looking at this for me.

No items are selected. Yesterday, a number of items were selected, so I downloaded/installed them all. ie the ones that were auto selected.

HI
maybe install a newer java.
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_181\bin\javac.exe
I had a look, and although I actually do have the C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_181\bin\ directory, there is no "javac.exe" file in that directory.
201810161535 Select Javac.PNG

Upvote 0

JohnK

Licensed User
Longtime User
it is in the JDK, not the JRE
jdk1.8.0_141\bin\javac.exe
The Screenshot you posted points to a JRE-Folder.
Yep, I missed updating the JDK, Its now updated, and the path has been reconfigured, but it did not magically fix the error above. DOH!

Upvote 0

JohnK

Licensed User
Longtime User
Download the SDK again and copy it to a new folder.
Yep, that got it working. The steps I actually took were.
Backed up the folder
Deleted the folder and contents
Unzipped the new one into the folder
Started the SDK Manager, and noticed I had to re-download a bunch of items (no real problem) However, the USB driver doesnt appear to download/instyall, and stays selected every time. I also get a warning about my6 version of adb on a VM start.
Started the AVD Manager
Created an avd
It started and connected to B4A

However, I did notice I had a LOT less options for devices and configuration than I had recently (which I also had working) using the "standard" AVD manager

Is this suppose to be the case? I only have the following, whereas before I had many many many more.

201810162118 Limited phones.PNG

Upvote 0

JohnK

Licensed User
Longtime User
I appear to have the new version of AVD Manager and emulator up and running. which does include a heap more options, and also connects to B4A.

Upvote 0

JohnK

Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

JohnK

Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you have a c: drive? Make a test and move the SDK folder to that drive.
If this does appear to be an issue, and you have space limits on your C drive, just an FYI I have a tiny tiny RAID 1 2xSSD as my C which was running out of space (especially after installing and creating some Emulators with 4GB SDCards....) What I have been doing for the last couple of years is to junction off my big mechanical RAID onto my C drive (ie it looks like the files are also on my C drive to the system) eg the following places a directory on C drive from the H drive source (ie the actual files/data).
B4X:
mklink /D /J "C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Android" "H:\JunctionSources\C_Users_John_AppData_Local_Android"
ie you could run a similar line to the above without having to actually move your files, and it takes bytes of storage on the C. Just an idea.

I have been running many apps and their data this way for some time now.

Upvote 0