Android Question B4A-Bridge install apps on Android 10?

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My Xaiomi Mi Max 3 got updated to Android 10 recently. Apart from the annoying "This app was built for an earlier version" message I get when running an app for the first time it appears that B4A- Bridge can only install an app if it is in the foreground when the app is uploaded to it otherwise the Compile dialog says "Installing with B4A-Bridege - Completed successfully" but it hasn't!

I can't find any reference to this limitation when searchng the forums but I assume that this is expected behaviour. Is it?

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Apart from the annoying "This app was built for an earlier version" message I get when running an app for the first time
This should only appear if targetSdkVersion is set to an old version. Set it to 28.

appears that B4A- Bridge can only install an app if it is in the foreground when the app is uploaded to it otherwise the Compile dialog says "Installing with B4A-Bridege - Completed successfully" but it hasn't!
This is true however B4A-Bridge tries to move itself to the foreground automatically. This requires the special "draw over apps" permission. Try to uninstall B4A-Bridge and install it again. See whether the permission is requested.

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Try to uninstall B4A-Bridge and install it again. See whether the permission is requested.
Good suggestion as it was already installed before the upgrade to Android 10. I've just done that and it asked for "Install Unknown Apps" and "Draw Over Apps", both of which I accepted, but it still won't install an app if it is not in the foreground. Perhaps it is a quirk of this device. :(

However :) I found that if I go to Settings -> Apps -> Permissions -> Other Permissions -> B4A-Bridge and enable "Display pop-up windows while running in the background" it now works as it used to. 👍

Last edited:
Upvote 0