B4J Tutorial B4JPackager11 - I thought the space didn't matter

This is not really a tip or a tutorial, more of a warning for others.

I made a small B4J program and wanted to distribute the program on a Windows 10 PC. As I was using jSerial, I followed the instructions here for special case 5 and added the line to my program.

B4X:
#Region Project Attributes
    #MainFormWidth: 1000
    #MainFormHeight: 800
    'line below is required as jSerial is being used
    'https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/integrated-b4jpackager11-the-simple-way-to-distribute-standalone-ui-apps.117880/
    #CustomBuildAction: After Packager, %WINDIR%\System32\robocopy.exe, ..\ temp\build\bin\ jssc.dll
#End Region

I noticed that there was a space before "jssc.dll" and thought I could delete it as it was not required - Wrong! On running my program on another PC, jssc.dll could not be found. It seems that removing the space causes the file to be placed in a sub directory called jssc.dll. Leaving the space, places the file in "bin" directory as required. A silly mistake.

I thought I was being clever but I should have realised, if Erel puts a space somewhere, it is required. He doesn't make typo's. :eek:. Of course, this applys to all of who post code. Everyone tries not to make typo's. Many thanks.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Since, as everyone knows, I never joke, so I want to specify that in that case the spaces are the separators of the parameters and that in fact it is not nice that they have a "value".

I add that one of the very few things I don't like about B4X is that the editor doesn't delete / add spaces automatically (although having more freedom is often an advantage); this is not the case, however.

Finally, Erel makes no typos because he writes everything in pen, on sheets of paper. I don't know if he later has N employees typing on the keyboard for him or if he uses special software.

šŸ˜

Last edited: