Wish [B4X] B4A Scrollview2D

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Two wishes:
1. Add the ScrollView2D library as a standard B4A library.
2. Possibility to cast a ScrollView2D object as a B4XView with the ScrollViewOffsetX and ScrollViewOffsetY properties.

That way we would have bidirectional ScrollViews in all three products and accessible via B4XView for common code.
This could lead to improvements for the B4XTable which, in my opinion, lacks bidirectional scrolling.

This, of course, only with an agreement of Informatix, the author of the ScrollView2D library.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am sure that a ScrollView 2D library can be created in B4X, a b4xlib library.

I don't see it so complicated. There are many experts who can implement it without acquiring code from existing libraries.

If none is available the i add in my SD_XUIView libraries

Last edited:

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you, yes I had seen it.

But, unfortunately it doesn't really fulfill my wish.
Having a 'standard ' 2D Scrollview embedded in B4A.
B4i and B4J have them already as standard.
And then use it as a B4XView without external libraries.
For me, B4X lacks an internal 2D Scrollview because of the lack of a 2D Scrollview in B4A.
I would never use the B4XTable, in its current stage, because it doesn't have vertical scrolling.
Even xCustomListView would become much more versatile if it had 2D scrolling.

Anyway thank you for sharing it.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
B4i and B4J have them already as standard.
And then use it as a B4XView without external libraries.
For me, B4X lacks an internal 2D Scrollview because of the lack of a 2D Scrollview in B4A.
There are many extended cross platform views that are implemented in external libraries. XUI Views is such library. I don't think that it is a major drawback. There are actually advantages for such libraries as they are modular and easier to maintain.

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There are many extended cross platform views that are implemented in external libraries. XUI Views is such library. I don't think that it is a major drawback. There are actually advantages for such libraries as they are modular and easier to maintain.

I think Klaus means to say, that you make the 2D Scrollview, even external, and which has possibilities of becoming internal eventually.
Since you know B4A / B4I etc. in and out, your creation will be more feature rich and powerful to use.
My humble opinion.

Regards,

Anand

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The B4XView object supports scrolling in both directions, but in B4A it has only one depending if you use the vertical or the horizontal ScrollView.
My wish was to have a 'standard' ScrollView with both directions, and ScrollView2D does it.
But, it was only a wish.
Mybee you could add a 2D ScrollView in the XUI Views Library, or add the one from Star-Dust.
For me, the lack of 2D scrolling in B4X is a major drawback.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The B4XView object supports scrolling in both directions, but in B4A it has only one depending if you use the vertical or the horizontal ScrollView.
My wish was to have a 'standard' ScrollView with both directions, and ScrollView2D does it.
But, it was only a wish.
Mybee you could add a 2D ScrollView in the XUI Views Library, or add the one from Star-Dust.
For me, the lack of 2D scrolling in B4X is a major drawback.
Maybe mine isn't the best. But that of @Informatix , with its permission, could be transformed for XUI

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Star-Dust.
I am beginning to write my own ScrollView2D, beginning from scratch.
Thank you for your input, which gave me the push to do it myself.
I have some more ideas based on this.
In general, I try to use as less as possible external libraries, bad experiences with VB6 quite some years ago, and therefore what I can do myself I do it.
My wish was to have a 'standard' B4X 2D Scrollview as a B4XView, but it seems that this will not happen, so we need to do on our own.
And thank you again for your suggestion.

Last edited: