Android Code Snippet [B4X] Create square Thumbnail

CreateSquareThumbnail:
Sub CreateSquareThumbnail(Input As B4XBitmap) As B4XBitmap
    If Input.Width <> Input.Height Then
        'if the image is not square then we crop it to be a square.
        Dim l As Int = Min(Input.Width, Input.Height)
        Return Input.Crop(Input.Width / 2 - l / 2, Input.Height / 2 - l / 2, l, l)
    Else
        Return Input
    End If
End Sub
Usage:
CreateSquareThumbnail(xui.LoadBitmapResize(File.DirAssets,"Snapchat-248558753.jpg",150dip,150dip,True))

Last edited:

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Shouldn't it be used to reduce the size of an image? (or, better, to return a miniature of an image)
But before you can do that, you need a square

I see that if the input image is square the routine does not perform the "transformation". It seems more a routine to square an image rather than a "transformation" to thumbnail.
So I wrote this example:

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
B4X:
CreateThumbnail(xui.LoadBitmapResize(File.DirAssets,"Snapchat-248558753.jpg",150dip,150dip,True))
The clue is to load the image already in the target size. (150dip,150dip)

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
B4X:
    Dim xBitmap As B4XBitmap
    ' help.png is squared, 96x96px
    xBitmap = xui.LoadBitmap(File.DirAssets, "help.png")
    Log("Size: " & xBitmap.Width & TAB & xBitmap.Height)

Dim xThumbnail As B4XBitmap
    xThumbnail = CreateThumbnail(xBitmap)
    Log("Size: " & xThumbnail.Width & TAB & xThumbnail.Height)

Waiting for debugger to connect...
Program started.
Size: 96 96
Size: 96 96

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Last edited:

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
just have a look in your gallery, large images are cut out in the middle and are then the thumbnails. that's exactly what this function does, just turn a non-square image into a square without it looking stupid

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
just have a look in your gallery, large images are cut out in the middle and are then the thumbnails. that's exactly what this function does, just turn a non-square image into a square without it looking stupid
Yes, but If I pass a B4XBitmap 1500x1000, your routine returns a 1000x1000 bitmap (squared, centered, useful), not a small one to use as thumbnail (say 100x100).

To be a "CreateSquareThumbnail" it should also reduce the size. You should pass (and use, of course) other parameters, like SideSize and / or ReducingFactor (or change its name, because my new 1000x1000 B4XBitmap cannot be called "thumbnail", for sure.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…