Android Question Bring back the good old times...(features)

boten

Licensed User
Longtime User
OK. Installed B4A 5.5 on my new computer with windows 10.
Didn't install .NET as win10 has it.

1) in my old (now not available) XP machine where I used B4A since ver 2...there was a nice feature of the old HELP which was run by B4A-HelpViwer.exe. I have an entire help directory, but when trying to run
B4A-HelpViwer.exe. i get a message that i need ".NET framework 3.5 (includs .NET 2.5 and 3.0)"
my question: if i install .NET 3.5 will it interfere with .NET 4.0 that came with WIN10? Or is there a way to run the good old HelpViwer under .NET 4.0 - i know there's online help. I find the "old" Help very useful

2) I created an emulator to run under android 2.2 (api 8). I choose for device: 5.1 WVGA (480x800).
It comes out BUT WITHOUT the size panel of [menu] [home] [on] [off] etc... as it used to be in the old machine.
How can I have the side panel with the home, back, menu, etc... "physical" buttons?

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
1) B4A-HelpViewer is not working for several years now. It stopped working when we switched to a new forum. It was more important in the past before the online search engine was available.
Check this tool for an offline documentation tool: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...j-api-documentation-b4x-object-browser.25682/

2) As a general rule I recommend you to avoid using the emulator at all. Use B4A-Bridge to connect to a real device or use a VM such as Genymotion.

There should be an option when you create the AVD to include an hardware keyboard.

Upvote 0

boten

Licensed User
Longtime User
I tried both with AND without hardware keyboard. I'm talking about a panel right of the emulator with icons for the physical buttons of menu, home, back, power, red & green phone symbols etc...

I need the emulator to test for older froyo machines (which I don't have and can't bridge to them).
BTW - in the new I7 machine, the emulator works very very fast.
for MY device, I usually use the bridge

As for the HELP you suggested, I tried it a long time ago. It's an object browser. The old help was really a charm. Any chance of making it working again? Or alternatively, can I install .NET 3.5 without "running over" the .NET 4.0 that came with win10?

Upvote 0

Lahksman

Licensed User
Longtime User
Framework .NET 3.5 is available on Win10 but not installed.

Go to your configuration screen and select Programs and features.
Click on Add windows features (or something similar) en check the box next to .NET 3.5 (just fill the entire square, there's no need to select the subfeatures).

Windows will automatically download the necessary files from the Windows update servers.

It won't interfere with .net 4.x

Upvote 0