Share My Creation Exoplanet Guide

Exoplanet Guide is probably the most complete exoplanet data reference for phones.

It is based on Jean Schneider's Exoplanet Encyclopedia supplemented by the database of the Penn State University. Planets for which suffcient data is not currently available are filtered out, but may show up with future database updates. The database can be updated online.

One of the key features is the graphical representation of the habitable zone of a parent star. The Exoplanet Guide also comes with a fully featured star atlas plotting stars down to magnitude 6.4 plus all Messier objects!

The application is not a space game but intended for the serious amateur astronomer interested in keeping up with exoplanets. No liability assumed whatsoever for the accuracy of the data provided and further processed.

Search Functions:
* Scrolling and picking from the list
* Enter a planet name with auto-complete
* Narrow down to specific characteristics

Data Categories (where available):
* Current position
* Visibility
* Planet data
* Host star data
* Catalog cross-reference
* Star Atlas pages

Essential Functions:
* Online update of the exoplanet database
* Data display with artist's concept image
* Current azimuth, altitude and rise/transit/set times
* Graphical representation of the HBZ
* Star chart centering on a selected planet
* Portrait and landscape modes
* Help in Menu/Settings

Star Chart Features
* Star chart images can be saved for documentation
* Adjustable field of view
* Selectable star magnitude limit
* Move to other sky positions
* Reset to exoplanet coordinates
* Reference to star atlas pages

https://market.android.com/search?q=Requio+Web+Design&so=1&c=apps

exoguide1.png

exoguide2.png

exoguide3.png

exoguide4.png

exoguide5.png

exoguide6.png

exoguide7.png

exoguide8.png

exoguide9.png

exoguide10.png

Attachments

• exoguide8.jpg
    exoguide8.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 7,011

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
That looks great, definitely my area of interest. I'll check it out now!

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I can see it on the market on my PC, but not on my phone. I'll check again tomorrow.

alfcen

Licensed User
Longtime User
No problem, Steve, it's definitely there, both, on the PC and on the phone.

clx

Licensed User
Longtime User
From the pictures it looks very detailed and in depth, Looks great!! I tried one of your widgets from the market and it works very well. :sign0098:

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
A great front end to the database, looks really nice on my Asus Transformer. There's plenty of info to keep me interested. I'll give you some proper feed back once I've used it for a while.

alfcen

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks so much, Steve!

Asus Transformer TF101? Exoplanet Guide is not designed for tablets, but for phones only. I am astonished :D

Is the ASUS Transformer a good choice? Actually, I am having a pamphlet right in front of me. It is now available in Japan for 60,000 Yen.

Any findings and suggestions are welcome at any time.

Cheers
Robert

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
No problem.

I haven't tried all of the functions yet, but the starmaps and data graphics look good and are a nice fit on the screen.

I will run it on my phone to compare, just in case.

I've only had the transformer about three weeks and it's a nice piece of kit. I haven't pushed it's capabilities yet, but whenever I wan't to use it, it just works. No messing around, no additional setting up etc.

Nice screen, plenty of memory options and of course the keyboard. Just what you'd expect for the price of course.

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Robert,

I've had a chance to use the app over the Christmas period and am enjoying using it. I have a few comments that may or may not be useful.

The first one relates to the main screen and is probably more personal preference but, it doesn't quite feel right to me that the first screen is a list of planets, which unless you know what you are looking for can be daunting to search through. Perhaps grouping by constellation location (or an option to do so). I know the filter is on the menu, and there is an awful lot of information and lot's of ways of looking at it but, just an observation.

A Glossary of terms or link to a definition would be very useful, my son found the app the other day and was asking me what does this mean, what does that mean. A link from the main data screen to an explanation of each term / icon would be useful.

Links to the star catalog (where available) from the main data screen could also be interesting.

I like the ability so show the orbit, although I'm not sure the background adds anything as it's appears to be the same one for all stars. Also the option to view the orbits of the complete system (if there is one) would be interesting too.

Just my observations, and you can ignore them if you don't think they are appropriate. The app works really well and has loads of interesting information.

Steve

alfcen

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks a lot for your motivating words, Tom.
To date, I turned over a mere 15 downloads minus 2 cancellations.
Nevertheless, as soon as astronomers will detect Earth-like planets
the interest in and curiosity about exoplanets may grow on a wide scale.

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I turned over a mere 15 downloads minus 2 cancellations.

I know the feeling, my chordpad app has 92 installs after 8 Months. We just have to accept that they are aimed at minority markets and may sell a small amount each month.

alfcen

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Steve,

Yes, I agree. Exoplanets, too, is a small niche within a narrow field. It's not backyard astronomy.

Thanks a lot for your kind feedback. Your observations are most appropriate.

1. First screen
The databases maintained by the Paris Observatory and the Penn State University do not include constellations
in that grouping is a difficult task, but the filter in the menu could possibly be replaced by a group of icons.
I have added the star chart to locate the planets' parent stars in the constellations.

2. Glossary
Is on my task list for future updates. Frankly, I don't know how to put all these terms into words that children can
understand. Perhaps, for the time being, I can borrow the most important terms from NASA.

3. Links to the star catalog
Sorry, I am not sure what you mean. A link to the SIMBAD web site?

4. Complete system
On my honey list. The background is just for decoration. Many exoplanets are several hundreds or thousands of light-years
away at locations in deep space where the constellatons do not look like as seen from Earth.

Cheers
Robert

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Robert,

The glossary would not necessarily be for children (my son is 18 and is interested in science and Astronomy but has never studied it), just those that don't know too much about astronomy.

I think your right in that the continued discovery of exoplanets will create interest in astronomy, it would be useful for people to have a quick reference within your app for the terms you use, especially as on the Android device it is not simple to open google and cut and paste terms to search for. If they don't understand after they've read that, there's still google, but you've given them a start.

Yes, I meant links to the referenced sites SIMBAD

By the complete system, I meant all of the planets that orbit that particular star, I appreciate the image is a background, but I am not sure that it adds anything to the presentation and I feel that it may be better just black, just personal choice. Perhaps with a scale showing 1AU and appropriate distances from our solar system, or even an overlay of a second system for comparison (one of which could be the solar system). This may be a bit too much information to display, but worth considering.

Steve

alfcen

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

You can now update to Ver 1.14 which adds a glossary of terms.

A link to SIMBAD is problematical as the star naming convention is different,
while the SIMBAD site does not display correctly in my phone's browser.
There is a [Web] button at the bottom right of the data screen which takes
you to the Exoplanet Encyclopedia which has a link to SIMBAD. However,
not all links lead to the sought star.

Orbit screen: I feel like you, adds nothing valuable, just a static image.
Thought of a solar system overlay before, but most planets orbit their parent
star at closer distance than that of Mercury. Next month, I will try and make
the display scaleable similar to that of the HBZ plot.

Cheers
Robert