Fake and selfish members

William Lancee

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Star-Dust please come back. If there are others with this sentiment, please come back.

My policy is simple. If a question is interesting and I can help, I will.
I know that the audience of my contribution is much larger than one OP.

Notably, recent likes for me have come from old contributions. Just saying, no need to give selfish folk airtime.
And I won't bother to ignore them, since they could contribute with an "interesting" question/problem.

tchart

Licensed User
Longtime User
When I see such a member, I would avoid replying with an answer.
There are some members I will not help due to past experiences. They are either ungrateful, demanding or confrontational about suggested solutions.

I know we are all here to learn but some members just seem to be on a fishing expedition in order to get other people to do their work.

Ivica Golubovic

Licensed User
Star-Dust is an example of how the selfishness of certain members affects the experts of this forum. Unfortunately, I'm sure Star-Dust isn't the only one.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Many times I encountered incidents with some toxic and ignorant members, I have remained silent. I have thought to write a post like this but keep postponing, hoping to see things would be changing in the future, or maybe my emotion will cool down after a while. I changed my mind not to report their behavior, thinking that they were not purposely or have the intention to do that.

Last edited:

Sagenut

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Who is developer as main job make a great effort to find time even to help other members and contribute with resources.
Obviously giving an answer without receiving a signal of appreciation or an answer is not nice.
Hopefully the most known and respected expert developers (@LucaMs , @Star-Dust , @aeric just as an example, list is extremely long) will find the will to keep in touch with the Sane part of the forum and just learn to stop supporting who does not deserve it.
On the other side this could cut the leg to the B4X expansion.
But everyone need to do what he think it's the right thing for himself.
I would start adding to ignore list who really never acted correctly.

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Cultural differences can play a big part in perceived rudeness.

An example,
If I make a telephone call, the end of the call will be "Take care, Bye" (or similar) yet some countries will simply end the call after they have conversed. To me, if a call just ends, that is rude. Yet to others that is normal and not meant to offend.

We must make allowances for culture when dealing with others (on the forum or anywhere), what they think is normal, may be annoying to someone else.

I really don't think 99% of the people who are being seen as rude actually are, they simply have a different outlook on how things are done.

Ivica Golubovic

Licensed User
Do you consider the examples from post #25 as a cultural difference. I fully believe the member who posted post #25 because I have had a lot of similar situations. It's not cultural differences, it's something else...

zed

Licensed User
When the Internet arrived in homes, there was practically nothing. Everything had to be invented.
I have been working professionally in this field for 30 years. Knowledge was not at the same level for everyone.
Everyone had to help each other. Parts of the code had to be swapped. We weren't trying to "Keep Your Code".
We were quite proud to share advice or other things.
It grew on us

Do you think the internet would be at the same level if we had kept our secrets?
It’s the exchange that allowed us to be where we are.

Today, things have changed a lot. The first person to develop the right app will win the jackpot. Which means that no more people share their code or their ideas. Everyone wants to make money. It makes me sad.

Sagenut

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

An example,
If I make a telephone call, the end of the call will be "Take care, Bye" (or similar) yet some countries will simply end the call after they have conversed. To me, if a call just ends, that is rude. Yet to others that is normal and not meant to offend.

We must make allowances for culture when dealing with others (on the forum or anywhere), what they think is normal, may be annoying to someone else.

I really don't think 99% of the people who are being seen as rude actually are, they simply have a different outlook on how things are done.
But I think that just to say "Thank You" after receiving help it's quite normal everywhere.
I don't mind about getting Like because that really could be just a lack of knowledge about the feature of a forum.

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
yet some countries will simply end the call after they have conversed.

Also some ex-husbands. 🤣

My ex-wife will never initiate ending a phone conversation, no matter how many variations I try of "righto, I'll let you get back to what you were doing" etc.

So now it's just "Soph, it's been great talking but my phone battery is about to die and I don't kn....."

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

An example,

I think you could be right about this, it could be our ignorance.

Because in fact I didn't know that in some cultures it is allowed to steal the source code, modify it and pass it off as your own, or complain to the developer because your changes to his code don't work.

I didn't even know that in some cultures if you don't immediately understand your request you are allowed to get offended.

But I was also ignorant of the fact that if the person you help does not understand your suggestions or misinterprets them, he is entitled to call you incompetent or that you do not understand anything.

But this is only because in my culture when someone else doesn't understand, even if it were true, you can't treat them badly. In my culture even if someone lets you read a code you can't steal it.
In my culture, help is not expected, but when we get it it is right to thank even when we have only been helped in part. In my culture if the help is not obtained I do not rail against those who would have expected the help or because the help was not quick, because in my culture we think that others have their work and perhaps they cannot leave everything to follow our work.
Again in my culture we don't expect others to do the work for us, but perhaps we would appreciate it if it were explained to us.

In my culture if you joke to defuse a tense atmosphere you are not considered a disturber but a peacemaker.

In my culture if you ask for help then you must also be willing to give help, because others are not considered like ChatGPT, you press a button, get the answer and then turn off... In my culture others are people.
In my culture, if there is a misunderstanding between two people, the others try to mitigate it, not fuel it.

Yes, I know... My culture is strange... I should understand other people's culture better, what for me is an offense or rudeness is probably instead compliments and good manners.

So maybe it's better that until I understand this culture I'll just read the forum.

PS. Sorry if my speech seemed a little acidic or biting. If I have offended someone, I apologize and promise not to do it again..... (apologizing is part of my culture.... yes, another strange thing.. apologizing)

Edit: I don't want to forget the many people in this forum who stand out for their excellence on a human and professional level. These people are also there and they are the ones who push me to read this forum every day

Last edited:

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Star-Dust : well, yor signature specifies that you're from the Milk Way, so this may partially explain cultural differences! :D
Be patient. Even people from same culture, even brothers/sisters, could be so different from us..
Growing older I'm finding myself more and more tolerant. Then I listen to my young son...and I rediscover what I was like at that age :)

Ivica Golubovic

Licensed User
Does cultural difference include the fact that when you make a library and share it for free, after a few weeks you get a private message saying "You have an error in the library! Fix it quickly because I need it for my project!". Since I couldn't answer right away, I got the same message again. Finally when I reviewed the posted logs, I saw that the error was not related to the library. I explained to the member where the mistake was despite his rude behavior. After that, exactly what I wrote in the first post happened, that member disappeared without a trace, without a thank you, a like or even to write that the problem was solved, nothing, just silence...

zed

Licensed User
Reading this thread, I notice that the authors are all from different cultures.
Yet they all think the same thing.
This is proof to me that it is not a question of culture.

Alessandro71

Licensed User
Longtime User
Does cultural difference include the fact that when you make a library and share it for free, after a few weeks you get a private message saying "You have an error in the library! Fix it quickly because I need it for my project!". Since I couldn't answer right away, I got the same message again. Finally when I reviewed the posted logs, I saw that the error was not related to the library. I explained to the member where the mistake was despite his rude behavior. After that, exactly what I wrote in the first post happened, that member disappeared without a trace, without a thank you, a like or even to write that the problem was solved, nothing, just silence...
I’m not going to advocate for this case specifically, but I noticed that some people, when needed to write in another language, use automatic translators, which might produce raw/crude/unpolite answers.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I’m not going to advocate for this case specifically, but I noticed that some people, when needed to write in another language, use automatic translators, which might produce raw/crude/unpolite answers.
Maybe but clicking on "Like" doesn't need translations. Furthermore, it is almost impossible for one not to know how to write: "Thank you".

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Even Translators know how to.... translate... gratefulness