Forum Members and Covid-19

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
Last edited:

Martin Larsen

Licensed User
Longtime User
Have you been able to discern how you got it?

By now it is evident that the infection came from the school. So far, 3 pupils from my oldest daughter's class have tested positive and 7 from my youngest daughter's. Including our kids. Then at least 5 parents (incl. me and my wife) and a bunch of siblings have been infected too. I guess we land on around 20 infected people altogether.

What I don't know is who is "patient zero" in this outbreak. There is something with the timings that doesn't make sense. The best explanation is that we have at least one, probably two (one in each class), unknown asymptomatic carriers who has unknowingly spread the disease. There is a quite big overlap between the two classes. Many of my youngest daughter's classmates have siblings in my oldest daughter's class. So a couple of asymptomatic siblings could explain this outbreak. And the chance of that is not negligible. Around half of the infected kids are asymptomatic as far as I know.

One child was severely ill though with high fever and shortness of breath and had to be hospitalized for a short while. He is doing fine now, thankfully.

Last edited:

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Martin Larsen (Denmark)...

1608479995278.png

Two titles of Italian newspapers.

1 - Covid, London: "The new variant of the virus is out of control"
2 - Coronavirus in the world, OMS: "The new variant of the virus is already in Denmark, Holland and Australia".

-----------

Current vaccines, which in my opinion could be harmful, both because they are based on "new technology" (RNA) and because they are not sufficiently tested, may not be effective against this new variant of Covid.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
1 - Covid, London: "The new variant of the virus is out of control"
2 - Coronavirus in the world, OMS: "The new variant of the virus is already in Denmark, Holland and Australia".

yes but they say that the vaccine should also work on the new variant.

Martin Larsen

Licensed User
Longtime User
Coronavirus in the world, OMS: "The new variant of the virus is already in Denmark, Holland and Australia".

The variant is probably everywhere by now. But most countries don't do gene sequencing of coronavirus on a large scale. Those mentioned countries are actually among those few that does! So it is not a coincidence that the variant is found there.

Current vaccines, which in my opinion could be harmful, both because they are based on "new technology" (RNA) and because they are not sufficiently tested, may not be effective against this new variant of Covid.

They are actually tested very thoroughly. Normally, when you develop a vaccine, you do some lab experiments and see how it turns out. If it goes well, you write a summary and seek more funding. Then you wait several months for money. Then you do more experiments, write a new summary and wait several months for funding. At some point you start testing on people. Just a few, then you write a summary and wait for more money. Finally, you can start testing on a large group.

All this takes years. But due to the covid situation, all the waiting for money is skipped. The testing and evaluation is not skipped. One of the vaccines, can't remember which, has been tested on 70.000 people. That's a lot and completely in line with other vaccines from the past.

Also, never before have so many people worked so hard and spent so much time and money on a vaccine. And never before have scientists collaborated so much and shared so much information.

Of course, very late side effects cannot be determined already. But that implies to all medicine and vaccinations. You can test a vaccine for 5 years, and you will not find side effects that occur 10 years after. That's a fact of life. You also don't know any long term side effects of the illness itself. Who knows what happens to us after 10 years? Maybe we fall asleep like in Awakenings.

I feel safe about the vaccine.

Last edited:

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The variant is probably everywhere by now. But most countries don't do gene sequencing of coronavirus on a large scale. Those mentioned countries are actually among those few that does! So it is not a coincidence that the variant is found there.
No, even here in Italy it is done and the variations have already been many but this one seems to have a greater ease of diffusion (it is not known if it is even more harmful)

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I feel safe about the vaccine.
me too.I am going to get it when it will be available for the rest of the citizens here.
Well, go ahead, I'll be the 7 billionth vaccinated 😄

Furthermore, here in Italy there will be no problem of deciding whether to get vaccinated or not. Many months ago the Italian health care institute told us, rightly, that in particular this year we should all have been vaccinated against the flu; well, these vaccines are almost impossible to find still today! 🤬

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
No no, the vaccine will be administered by age, you will be among the first 1000
:mad:

Edit:
No no, the vaccine will be administered by age, you will be among the first 1000
Sorry, you meant:
No no, the vaccine will be administered by age, from the youngest to the oldest, you will be among the first 1000

so you are right
👶

Last edited:

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
Read it more carefully
Sorry google translate misinterpreted that part....

, I'll be the 7 billionth vaccinated
You're Lucky One Conobe....we'll still be waiting for the cleft-stick runner to arrive at this Tip of the South. No Not the American one.....the proper one....here.

PS we don't Do negative 100 here and the runner is on strike refusing to carry the 'fridge

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry google translate misinterpreted that part....

You're Lucky One Conobe....we'll still be waiting for the cleft-stick runner to arrive at this Tip of the South. No Not the American one.....the proper one....here.

PS we don't Do negative 100 here and the runner is on strike refusing to carry the 'fridge
Google translator refuses to translate that post; it says: "At the moment the Centaurian language has not been included in our database" 👽

Seriously... I didn't understand (some reference to "Star wars", I suppose).

Last edited:

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
Seriously... I didn't understand (some reference to
Nope.... just that even if you are the 1000th ( regardless of age selection direction ) you would be luckier than those here, we here will probably wait a longer time for vaccines to arrive. Although I am told AstraZeneca were testing here....unconfirmed.

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
I saw a news report last night that said my country, under the COVAX agreements and "consortium", will only receive enough vaccine doses to cater for 3% of the population (+-58 million) and probably only in second quarter of 2021.

So it doesn't look good until the "developed" countries have soaked up all the capacity and Big Pharmaceutical Business turns its attention to other sites of profit.

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Very quiet round here now - I live in London :)