Android Question Google Maps SDK is crashing [Solved]

Carlos marin

Licensed User
Longtime User
everything was working fine and out of nowhere my application comes out with this error it doesn't tell me where I don't have how to debug it I don't know what happens

1587675048523.png

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hey, I am NOW getting that exact outofbounds error when displaying a map - so that must mean something is wrong on google's end.

The google maps app itself also crashes, so it's definitely something up with googles servers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Since google's own "Google Maps" app is crashing, I'm sure they are aware of it and it's a top priority to get it fixed ASAP.

So, I would expect it to be fixed within the hour.

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Try doing these things

1) Don't load any layouts that have "Mapview" in them.
2) Don't Dim/Enable/Initialize any GoogleMap or MapFragment objects.
3) Don't do MapFrag.IsGooglePlayServicesAvailable

Upvote 0

Carlos marin

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am looking at other applications and they perfectly control this error but my app for more try cash that I implement and try to manage it simply closes and that's it.

1587679410313.png
1587679464941.png

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Try running those other apps a few more times, I bet they will also crash. I say this because the first run of my app didn't crash - it would just not show the background map (streets, roads) on that first run. But when I ran my app again, it crashed with the same IDE log error you got.

Hey, if google's own "Maps" app is crashing, you shouldn't feel too bad if your app also crashes.

Upvote 0

FrankDev

Licensed User
Longtime User
the same thing with me. Some problems are solved by waiting. There's no point in looking for a solution now.

Upvote 0

Alex_197

Licensed User
Longtime User
Try it as Intent - works for me
Google Map Intent:
private Sub ShowMap

Try

Dim Intent1 As Intent
        Dim urlMap As String="https://www.google.com/maps/search/"
        Dim su As StringUtils
        Dim Address As String

Address=lblAddress.Text
        Address=Address.Replace(CRLF," ")
        Address=su.EncodeUrl(Address,"UTF-8")
        urlMap=urlMap & Address

Intent1.Initialize(Intent1.ACTION_VIEW,urlMap)
        Intent1.SetComponent("googlemaps")
        StartActivity(Intent1)
    Catch
        Log("ShowMap " & LastException)
        modFun.ShowError("ShowMap " & LastException)
    End Try

End Sub

Upvote 0

Jorge M A

Licensed User
Google Maps SDK is crashing -- partially resolved

Latest status: We believe the crashes of Google Maps SDK have been fixed for iOS. For Android, crash are still happening, and a fix is being worked on with the highest priority. The current ETA for this fix is 48 hours, but we are doing everything we can to speed up the process. Possible workaround: Customers for whom clearing application data is safe can recommend their users clear data for the applications (not just the cache). For Android, multiple developers mentioned a workaround consisting in deleting the ZoomTable.data file directly from their application. After review, this fix seems safe, and you could try it in your application. Please refer to https://issuetracker.google.com/154855417#comment179.

source: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/154855417

Upvote 0

brunnlechner

Licensed User
Longtime User
If you want your users to continue using your app without re-installing, add this to the Application.onCreate()::
        SharedPreferences googleBug = getSharedPreferences("google_bug", Context.MODE_PRIVATE);
        if (!googleBug.contains("fixed")) {
            File corruptedZoomTables = new File(getFilesDir(), "ZoomTables.data");
            corruptedZoomTables.delete();
            googleBug.edit().putBoolean("fixed", true).apply();
        }

Is this also possible in B4A?

Upvote 0