Android Tutorial GUI SDK Manager for newer versions of Android tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: If you are using B4A v7.8+ then a newer version of B4A Sdk Manager is preinstalled. Follow these instructions instead: https://www.b4x.com/b4a.html#installation

The GUI interface of Android SDK Manager has been removed in the latest version of Android SDK.
It was replaced with a command line tool named sdkmanager.bat.

Most developers, including new B4A developers, still use a version which does include the GUI interface, as the B4A download page points to an older version.
You can continue to use the currently installed Android tools.

A custom tool named B4A SDK Manager is provided as an alternative for developers who like to upgrade:

SS-2017-06-06_12.53.22.png

Installation instructions:

1. Download the latest sdk tools: https://developer.android.com/studio/index.html#command-tools
2. Create a folder for Android SDK. Don't put it under Program Files as it is a restricted folder. C:\android-sdk is a good option.
3. Unzip the sdk tools and copy the tools library to android sdk folder. It should look similar to:

SS-2017-05-29_15.44.54.png

4. Download B4ASdkManager.jar and double click on it. It requires Java 8u40+ to be installed.
5. Click on the open folder button and select sdkmanager.bat. It will be under <sdk path>\tools\bin
6. Install all recommended items. It can take a few minutes or more.
Licenses agreements will be printed. Read them and approve.
7. Don't forget to update B4A IDE to use the new SDK (Tools - Configure Paths - android.jar).

Next tutorial: AVD Manager / Emulator

The B4J source code is attached. It depends on jShell v1.5+.

Android SDK currently doesn't support Java 9. Make sure that B4A is configured to use Java 8 (Tools - Configure Paths).

Attachments

• B4A-SdkManager-Source.zip
    63.3 KB · Views: 5,046
Last edited:

jimmyF

Licensed User
Longtime User
Have you downloaded the latest Android SDK tools as explained in the first post?
I have been using Android Studio to manage my SDK installation.

When do you get this message? What happens next?
I get the message in the app log window after I click on "Install Selected".
It stops at the line:
Warning: File C:\Users\James.SEF2\.android\repositories.cfg could not be loaded.

As another issue:
The AVD Manager tells me that there are no definitions available. It was working before.

jimmyF

Licensed User
Longtime User
Seems like a bit of a Department of Redundancy Department situation. :confused:
I now have 2 complete and alike copies of the SDK on disk.
Is it safe you use this copy with Android Studio?
Can I also update this copy alternatively in Android studio or must I now use the B4JsdkManager always?

Btw, it works now but finishes with
Info: "Install Google USB Driver (revision: 11)" finished.
done

Warning: File C:\Users\James.SEF2\.android\repositories.cfg could not be loaded."
in the log window.

alienhunter

Licensed User
Longtime User
hi
i got this error
how do i make sure that HAXM was installed correct ?
avd.jpg

also the HYPER-V has to be disabled ?

thanks AH

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
1/ create a sub directory named "AndroidEmulator" in C:\Windows and change its permissions to anybody (it should be a missing environment variable but on my part, Android_HOME or its path to the SDK never worked)
2/ to be sure XAHM was correctly installed, you can restart its installer from the extras folder. Alternatively, you can start haxm_check.exe in CLI to check if the requirements are ok
3/ I have both XAHM and Hyper-V running <- THIS IS NO MORE TRUE (I enter in a loop at restart after having installed Hyper-V when Xahm was previously installed)

Last edited:

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
1/ create a sub directory named "AndroidEmulator" in C:\Windows and change its permissions to anybody (it should be a missing environment variable but on my part, Android_HOME or its path to the SDK never worked)
2/ to be sure XAHM was correctly installed, you can restart its installer from the extras folder. Alternatively, you can start haxm_check.exe in CLI to check if the requirements are ok
3/ I have both XAHM and Hyper-V running

Hey

Do you the windows creator update installed on your machine ?

John.

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello @moster67 : you are right and I have to edit my post about. It was right in the past : I had both running without doing nothing special.
To prove it I wanted to install Hyper-V on my new computer now and entered in a loop at restart
So I guess it is no more true

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
@moster67 : sorry to point to you at each message, I am on the mobile..
It seems to be an issue more with Hyper-V : I just reinitialized the computer because of the loop, installed Hyper-V without having Xahm installed so. And it crashes again. I will report if I find a solution

eSolution

Licensed User
Longtime User
I updated to 7.80 and I deleted my Android Sdk that was installed with Android Studio and I installed a new one as explained above (using the SDK Manager from B4A).
Now B4A can't compile my apps because it can't find the appcompat styles. I installed B4A 7.8 on my desktop where I still have the Android SDK from Android Studio and it compiled the app without any problem... So with the Android SDK installed by the included SDK Manager we have missing files i think... I get this error: "AndroidManifest.xml:16: error: Error: No resource found that matches the given name (at 'theme' with value '@style/Theme.AppCompat')."

How can I fix this without installing Android Studio and using its SDK? (is another 10G of wasted SSD)

Status
Not open for further replies.