How are you all coping?

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
hospitals over there are very minimal and not what it should be for a virus like this.
Reference comment

True. The virus is spreading slowly here and I hear slower than overseas. Speculation is that it does not like the hot climate. But, that seems to be not correct. In other countries after the first 100 case the exponential rise seems to have been fast. Perhaps, individuals are just being in responsible behaviour.

Our government appears to be dealing with the situation with some responsibility although we have not yet gone to lock down status. the health minister has warned that 60% of the population could be affected (I guess that is a mathematical projection by the epidemiologists).

Govt has negotiated with all the HUGE taxi industry, been out on the taxi ranks (large scale movement points everywhere), the religious groups and so on to get them to agree to voluntary restrictions. All churches/temples and mosques, except maybe one which has a HUGE gathering over easter, have suspended services and ceremonies. International travel was restricted or stopped early on. The cases that we do have are residents who returned from Italy, Greece, Iran mainly. International travellers were restricted before the virus hit their local areas, as far a I can tell.

Its seems to be an unfortunate statement in the circumstances and the death rates in China and Italy in particular. but, we are fortunate to have the information from the front line states. This is valuable.

The govt web site (SA Corona Virus) shows this as of a few minutes ago, no date is given but assume today :
View attachment 90373

In the post quoted above for reference I commented about the ability of these hospital systems to actually cope. SA never had ebola, SARS, MERS and so on so there is no experience at dealing with anything like CoronaV. That is a real concerning thought.

All schools and universities have been closed. Businesses are still running and, as above, because of no lock down all travel is still running.

I am fortunate, Iive on a farm in a rural area. My wife and daughter still go to work, although, the daughter's business has sent people home to from there. My wife works for a museum and they await govt instruction to close - they deep clean.

The virus is currently reported in only three provinces (officially).

there are reports of dead people in some african countries as well.
In Kenya and Uganda there are low figures at present but I don't think there are any related deaths yet to my knowledge. As above we have had no related deaths here - YET.

I work for myself from home, have a big backyard, but the terror on the investment markets will have a very bad effect on my situation, I anticipate.......

Safeness to you all, may the virus not cross your threshold.......

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
My company has suspended me from 11 days without a salary.

THAT SUCKS UNDER THESE TIMES MAY THAT REVISIT THEM BADLY .......

600k people lost their jobs here in israel. very sad!
Because of CoronaV? That is a difficult one for me too figure out. Except, that those employers went instantly bankrupt, it is immoral that they removed that cost from their business places if its because of the virus...

I am not in danger of losing my home (for the time being) and I feel very deeply for those that have this additional burden to worry about

Similarly, it would be immoral to take people's homes from them because they could not support rents or mortgages in these circumstances. I heard that some country the government had suspended mortgages (not sure about rentals) for some period. I also heard that some landlords somewhere had suspended rents as well. Those people need A REAL BIG APPLAUSE, BANGING OF POTS AND PANS AND SINGING FROM THE BALCONIES.

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
over 600k people lost their jobs here in israel
This is not accurate. The media likes to spread panic so you see this number, however it is really places that are temporary closed and employees who are in an "unpaid vacation". This allows the employees to receive the unemployment payment. Once the special situation ends most of them will return to their previous jobs.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I believe that in Holland KLM (an airline) fired 2000 employees as the business is completely down.

I guess they will get their job back when the virus is under control and flights are allowed again.

and indeed most companies are 'just' placing the employees at home for telework or as technically unemployed which costs less on salery.

it won't be good for our taxes the coming years, that's for sure.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is not accurate. The media likes to spread panic so you see this number, however it is really places that are temporary closed and employees who are in an "unpaid vacation". This allows the employees to receive the unemployment payment. Once the special situation ends most of them will return to their previous jobs.

600.000 NEW unemployed that will receive "unemployment payment " from where? who will pay for it? also also the % they get is very low. its better then nothing but still its a very hard time for all and you know we are close to holidays and most business like hotels are making their 30%-40% income of the whole year in this period. as many say after this situation is over a lot people wont get back their jobs. this is a economic catastrophe

i hope it is soon over.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
600.000 NEW unemployed that will receive "unemployment payment " from where? who will pay for it? also also the % they get is very low. its better then nothing but still its a very hard time for all and you know we are close to holidays and most business like hotels are making their 30%-40% income of the whole year in this period. as many say after this situation is over a lot people wont get back their jobs. this is a economic catastrophe

i hope it is soon over.
Yes, newspapers sometimes ride sensational news and exaggerate it.
Unfortunately, beyond the journalistic exaggerations, we are not wrong if we describe this situation as a catastrophe for public health and the public economy.

It must be considered that some information is not transmitted by the press in order not to create panic. A lot of information is filtered by civil protection and the government to prevent worse alarmism and unconscious reactions from developing than we already see.

It is an apandemic that is affecting many nations but that will affect the whole world unlike the previous epidemic (SARS, avian, swine, etc ...)

Alex_197

Licensed User
Longtime User
I didn't hear anything about this virus in Greenland. Maybe it's good idea to move there? :)

brucePERU

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, luckily I work at home, thank goodness he is good.
My routine is the same as before, 6am until after midnight, my family does not see the difference jejejejeje.
The good thing is that I already dedicate a little more time to the guitar that I am so passionate about. sorry for my bad english (google traslator)

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am a US citizen. Have my own company and work from home - or anywhere with internet. I saw what a mess the US was making of it so I came to Taiwan before any restrictions were put on. Here they learned from SARS, had a plan ready, and have executed it very well. Life is pretty normal - except for all of the masks:)

Ferdari

Licensed User
Longtime User
I always worked at home on my own, i live of my apps, nothing changed on work for me, here in Mexico there is still no quarantine, but in general, operations have been suspended in multiple businesses or they are working at minimum. people starting to wear mask, We hope this ends soon, I wish you all health!

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
I didn't hear anything about this virus in Greenland. Maybe it's good idea to move there? :)
Nope it's there....in fact it's even in the Faroe Islands..... See here

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
Nothing changed for me. I used to work from home and I still am. What has changed is that since I cannot continue with the plans for my job regularly (I am refering to sales) due to the vicious circumstances I have sometime more to do stuff that I like. That is read books and play with b4r. The government of Greece as well as all the Governments of the EU are trying to counteract this first of a time crisis. They also have shut down everything because due to the memorandum the health system has declined big time these ten years and in order not to lose many lives they acted quickly. Also they announced the hiring of 2000 people (nursing and medical stuff).

denik

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am from Russia, work at a university. A week ago we were sent home with a salary. I’m not doing anything real all this time.

You can roam the street without restrictions, in the shops calmly.

I also programmed app for an Australian (second time, and yes, with B4A), but now he is not responding.
I hope everything will be fine with him.

Sorry eng

Diceman

Licensed User
is that toilet paper craze overthere going on aswell?

the woman said after that "here take one, that's 25 euros then".
and then saying that people are helping each other in these tough times.

If it were me, I'd tell her to stick it where the sun don't shine. :D

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If it were me, I'd tell her to stick it where the sun don't shine
That's where, more or less, all that paper is destined to 😀

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
A couple of funny images circulating in Italy these days (see attachments)

Dog image: to leave home for a short list of permitted activities, authorities request you to download and compile a form where you specify the reason and your personal data.
(translation of the reason you read on the dog's form "I need to poo")

Manifest, really appeared in a public space in Borgosesia (Italy): should I translate this as well? :)

And finally something about the smart working everyone is talking about these days:
The cleaning lady that helps me with my house chores opted for the smart working: she phone me everyday and tell me what I have to do

Attachments

• Dog1.PNG
    Dog1.PNG
    412 KB · Views: 141
  • cartello1.jpg
    cartello1.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 136