Android Question Is it possible to create a B4J app to update a B4A-generated APK?

Col

Licensed User
I have a B4A app that uses a static read-only Sqlite database. However, I would like my customers to be able to change the APK to include a different database that they can create themselves (with the same schema, just different data). They would then upload the new APK to the store, so the app install will use their specific database.

(Right now I am regenerating a new APK each time they want to use a different database).

1. Is it possible to write a B4J desktop app that can update the B4A-generated APK package with a new database file (with valid checksums and singings, etc.)?
  2. If not, is there another approach I could use?

Thanks

Col

Licensed User
Thanks for the quick reply Erel.
I could definitely do what you suggest. But I think the solutions still require me to intervene whenever a new database is required by a client. If I understand your reply correctly, option 1 would require my clients to have some technical ability (unless I do it myself), and option 2 would require anyone that installed the app to do some configuration.

What I am trying to achieve is to give my customers the ability to create their own packages themselves. The only difference between my original APK and the one they will generate would be the db file.

My clients are not technical people - I would like to provide them with a very simple desktop interface that allows them to easily include their own db file, and repackage the APK, thereby protecting them from command lines and configurations.

Once my customers generate their own APK, they will upload it to the store so their own clients would be able to download and install it on their devices. I suppose the process could almost be viewed as a pseudo app development process, where my customers produce a distributable APK for their own clients (hope this makes sense).

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
It will not work.

1. Each app needs to have its own package name.
2. Each APK needs to be signed with a specific key. This means that you will need to give them your key.
3. They will need to register to Google Play, create a new app record and upload the app. It is a lot of work and not suitable for non-technical people.
4. High chances that the apps will be rejected.

Upvote 0

Col

Licensed User
Looks like I'll have to continue with managing the process myself.

Thanks so very much for your advice - it was extremely useful.

Upvote 0