Other It's time to grow

Erel

Administrator
Staff member
Licensed User
I’m very proud in the continuing progress of B4X tools. I’m also very proud to be part of this amazing developers community.

In the last couple of years, I have a growing feeling that B4X tools do not realize their potential. While there are all kinds of development tools, B4X offers a unique set of features: simple, powerful, mature, great community, RAD, native, cross platform and more.
B4X tools are an excellent choice for a wide range of real-world use cases.

So, the question is how to make B4X more popular? Obviously, it is not a simple nor a short-term task.
A clear growth barrier is the fact that unlike most development tools today, B4A and B4i are not free. This wasn’t the case 10 years ago.

The big announcement today is that B4A will become free in a few weeks. The framework - set of internal libraries, will be open sourced.

We will accept contributions for B4A like currently done with B4J.
We've also secured funds from a US investor who shares my vision of making B4X a popular development tool. These resources will allow us to further expand.

How can you help?

Help us spread the word about B4X.

AnandGupta

Licensed User
Well, I must admit that,
  • I never paid to get latest B4A, I have not made any app till date.
  • I never paid for support, I am still strugling with tutorials.
  • I never paid to help Erel, I can't.
I always paid to be with my friends.

You see, Erel do not allow me to get inside the Forum gate, if I do not pay. :)

Regards,

Anand

Upvote 0

saunwin

Licensed User
My two penth worth -
I've bought B4A several times over the years. I don'y use it a lot, but when I do I've been very pleased with the outcome and more than pleased with the community spirit on the forums that has advised and helped many times.
I would continue to pay for B4A. It's worth every penny.
Erel and the team have done such a fantastic job, I'm just pleased that B4X will continue to thrive and develop.

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
uhm... just a my (as usual) mad and unuseful idea (even because often I write when I am almost sleeping 😄)

If a member of each language (I mean english, italian, french... not B4X, Java, C #... 😄) published a video on Youtube in which he quickly developed two apps, of medium and high level, obviously speaking in his own language and this video had a very captivating name and could be shown in the first pages of Google Search, such as: "The best way to develop apps, but also the fastest"?

The two apps could be the same for all the developers; if so, we should be sure to not violate Youtube rules.

Stupid idea? What do you think?

Upvote 0

José J. Aguilar

Expert
Licensed User
If a member of each language (I mean english, italian, french... not B4X, Java, C #... 😄) published a video on Youtube in which he quickly developed two apps, of medium and high level, obviously speaking in his own language and this video had a very captivating
Not a bad idea. Maybe someone could make a "master video", and a person of every language, could make the spoken coments and publish the same video in differents languages

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
we already have master videos: the excellent "Erel teaches programming" series: just add multiple languages audio track
Yes, I know and right today I wanted to know how many views they got (on Youtube) and, unfortunately, not so much.
Precisely for this reason I came up with this "strange" idea:
uhm... just a my (as usual) mad and unuseful idea (even because often I write when I am almost sleeping 😄)

If a member of each language (I mean english, italian, french... not B4X, Java, C #... 😄) published a video on Youtube in which he quickly developed two apps, of medium and high level, obviously speaking in his own language and this video had a very captivating name and could be shown in the first pages of Google Search, such as: "The best way to develop apps, but also the fastest"?

The two apps could be the same for all the developers; if so, we should be sure to not violate Youtube rules.

Stupid idea? What do you think?

Upvote 0

Toley

Licensed User
B4A being free is an excellent news for existing users, but I don't think it will really make the product "grow". It will surely be atractive to hobbyist and individual programmers, but professionnals and universities have already chosen their development platform (which is obviously not B4A) and they will not change anytime soon. I really enjoy B4X and have a lot of respect for Erel but I don't expect to see a lot of new serious android programmers around here.

Upvote 0

alwaysbusy

Expert
Licensed User
Having B4A for free is 'a-nice-to-have'. The most important part in the annoucement is having a private US investor. This has the potential to make Anywhere Software grow and it gives Erel the opportunity to surround himself with professional people who know how to market the tools.

Upvote 0

geminw

Licensed User
Thank you very much Erel !!! It is great news! I am a teacher and I have been using it for several years, now I will be able to disseminate b4a at the National University of Mar del Plata, Argentina.

Muchas gracias Erel!!!. Es una gran noticia!!. Soy docente y hace varios años que lo utilizo, ahora voy a poder divulgar b4a en la Universidad Nacional de Mar del Plata, Argentina.

Upvote 0

Erel

Administrator
Staff member
Licensed User
Upvote 0

junglejet

Licensed User
2 comments (which may have been made upstairs):
- Basic as a language is used by professionals as a no go argument. You blame yourself if you use Basic. This is the perception. Whenever I mentioned I use B4A for apps I was told this is not professional, period. Basic is for kids. Actually it was for kids, as kids use Java today. To overcome this perception despite alle good arguments pro the B4A Basic dialect will be very tough. Perception and blame are most important leaders of mankind.
- Support through the forum only is not sufficient. Professionals require instant support and are willing to pay. This imho is the biggest barrier. A support organization quickly becomes big and expensive and revenues are lousy. Look around how Linux solved the support problem. By distributions and associated services people can make money. Money can only be made from corporate customers, but it needs a broader concept (brand franchising, certified partners etc.) To get this run it will need qualified people, and a lot, and upfront invest not too small.

Upvote 0

Erel

Administrator
Staff member
Licensed User
Basic as a language is used by professionals as a no go argument. You blame yourself if you use Basic. This is the perception. Whenever I mentioned I use B4A for apps I was told this is not professional, period. Basic is for kids. Actually it was for kids, as kids use Java today. To overcome this perception despite alle good arguments pro the B4A Basic dialect will be very tough. Perception and blame are most important leaders of mankind.
B4X is not really Basic, in a similar way that VB .Net is not really Basic (and B4X is also very different than VB .Net).
I also see that you are a member since 2009 so I'm not sure that it is just for kids :)
Anyway, there is no point in arguing about it. I'm of course familiar with Basic reputation and this is one of the reasons that Basic4android became B4A and the programming language is named B4X.

Innovating, growing and removing barriers are difficult things to do and there are always many reasons and many people who are there to tell you why it will not work. If you believe in it then the only thing that you can do is to don't listen them and continue...

How to become a B4x representative in my country?
Now this is the correct approach.
Nothing formal is needed. Any help with spreading B4X will be appreciated. Contact support@basic4ppc.com if you need any assistance.

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Basic is for kids. Actually it was for kids

I don't know where you got that from but it's totally wrong.

it was invented for those who didn't want to write programs in 100% assembler and it's just a human readable/understandible way of programming
which is the same as any languaguage that is not assembler.

a lot of professional programs where written in basic back then (70s & 80s) and if required you mixed it with assembler parts for speed reasons.

in case of the .NET platform it doesn't matter if you write in VB or C# as it will compile to nearly the exact same .NET thing.

I think a lot of these 'PROs' still think that everything basic related is slow and is using GOTOs. It advanced over the years aswell.

Look at freeBASIC it's BASIC so it's bad? well, it does a straight optimized convertion to C and you can even add your inline assembler routines.
in the end the exe is just as fast as if you wrote it in C. The end result counts, not?

Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
IMHO the PRO label should be reserved to us, the programmers, not to any of the programming languages (you know, there exist hundreds of them) we use.

Let's compare a simple syntax from four main languages:
B4X:
if (a > 5) then
' a is greater than 5
else
'a is less than or equal to 5
end if

if (a > 5) then begin
{  a is greater than 5 }
end else begin
{  a is less than or equal to 5 }
end;

if ( a > 5 ) {
  // a is greater than 5
}
else {
  // a is less than or equal to 5
}

if ( a > 5) then
    !    a is greater than 5
    else
     !   a is less than or equal to 5
    end if
Simple question: Which one is PRO and which is not? :)

Upvote 0