Android Question Post has been deleted

D

Deleted member 103

Hi,

Post has been deleted, no more relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 103

The question I have for you is: Have you really TESTED your app? you might have bugs you don't even know about, and I don't mean using "debug" I mean, tested your app until it breaks.
I test my app with my 4 Android devices with different Android versions, and can, as always, do not show any errors - only at the user, these errors show up. :(
It is already possible that some errors are contained in my app, is also normal, but with B4a 6.80 such errors were somehow suppressed.

Upvote 0

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I test my app with my 4 Android devices with different Android versions, and can, as always, do not show any errors - only at the user, these errors show up.
Like I said in my previous post, have you tested your app until it breaks?, you should try and test your app using every imaginable scenario, granted, no app is 100% bug free, but if your users are able to crash your app to me that means they are doing somethng you are not, and you should keep that in mind.

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It seems too too for 6.80.

I use 6.50 and I had a crash only in 2 years. Cmq maybe you should try to intercept the mistakes with Try Catch ... they seem too much.

With 7.30 in fact they increase .... I would recompile with 6.50 :p

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
There are no known stability issues with v7.30.
I recommend you to go over each crash report and debug it as best as you can.
BTW, the charts you posted can be misleading as not all users immediately update the app so there might be less active installations of the last version in the last 7 days.

Note that in older versions of B4A (mainly before the addition of Application_Error in the starter service) less errors reached the OS error handler. So it might seem that there are less crashes while the truth is that there are only less reports.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 103

Upvote 0

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Like I said in my previous post, have you tested your app until it breaks?, you should try and test your app using every imaginable scenario, granted, no app is 100% bug free, but if your users are able to crash your app to me that means they are doing somethng you are not, and you should keep that in mind.

It simpler said then done.

The problem with everyone using your app is that bugs can appear that u will never get on your devices and will never understand why

For example: you are showing a date in your app and for that u use a specific format or use only strings to handle your dates but that is wrong because a user with arabic language has a different number format then you would think.

We write 1,2,3... but they use different chars for numbers thatswhy u should always use longs for dates and convert to strings.

And if u want to parse a date or time from string to long you may have lots of crashes.

Because in us the use am/pm that means parsing a long to a string will put not only numbers to that string it will put also characters and u need now to know how to parse that string correctly and its not simple.

Even if i set my phone to 12 h mode i wont have am/pm i would have hebrew chars instead so searching the string for am/pm will not solve your issue. So there is a lot of thinking when u make an app to do it from the beginning right.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 103

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The changes in v7.0 and v7.3 were mostly related to the new resumable subs feature. While it was a large change it has no effect if you are not using this feature.
Nothing can be done about unproven impressions of two developers.

If you think that there is a real issue then start a new thread, post the relevant information and we will help you debug it (or fix a bug in B4A if it is a bug).

As I said there are zero known issues in v7.30 that can cause your app to crash. I recommend all developers to use the latest version.
If you feel more comfortable with a different version then use it.

As I mostly repeated the same answer 4 times, that was my last post in this thread.

Upvote 0

Adie

Licensed User
Longtime User
Something I've noticed over the last 30 years of programming. Most NEW crashes/bugs we get with a new (incremental) upgrade is due to errors from our side that were actually 'missed' by the prev version of the development package.

I am not saying it is the case here but I had weird and wonderful crashes at specific customers just to realize the decimal is a ',' and not an '.' in settings or one out of 150 customers will press enter key while all the rest use Tab/mouse (Windows) to navigate.

Happy hunting :(

Adie

Upvote 0