Wish library for Android's key/value backup service

Discussion in 'Bugs & wishlist' started by Dave O, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Dave O

Dave O Active Member Licensed User

I'd love to see a library for Android's key/value backup service:

https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/data/keyvaluebackup

This service lets any Android app (since Android 2.2) back up their settings data, so that if the app is reinstalled later (on the original device or a new one, like when you get a new phone), the user's configuration data is restored.

Android currently provides an Auto Backup service which works fine, but only if the old and new device are both Android 6+. I'm still supporting Android 4.x and 5.x users, so I'm keen to add automatic backup/restore for when they move to a new phone.

My Java is barely rudimentary (been spoiled by B4A for a long time now), otherwise I'd give this a go myself.

Cheers!

2. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

This is not a simple library to make. As auto backup (which just works) is the recommended method I don't think that it is really worth the effort to implement the older method.

If you are able to identify the user then there are many simple ways to backup their settings.

Peter Simpson likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice