Share My Creation My APKs - backup your phone/tablet apps (WITHOUT ROOT)

I've published on Android Market (Google Play) a new app My APKs 1.0

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.frankygoes.myapks

Description from the market:

My APKs will make a backup of installed android applications on your phone or tablet, allowing you to restore them without an internet connection and avoiding market long search and download times.

My APKs will give you the power of easily sharing an application with peoples by email, bluetooth, wifi, skype and more.

Main features:

* Backup: do the backup of installed applications on the phone or tablet
* Report: create a list of the applications in TXT, HTML and PDF format
* Details: give information about an application
* Copy to: do the backup of a single application
* Share (apk): share an application as attachment via email, bluetooth, wifi, skype and more
* Share (url): share the market link of an application
* Open market: go to the market page of an application

Totally free and ad free.

Give it a look and let me your comments :D
Thank you.

Attachments

• screenshot 1 home.jpg
    screenshot 1 home.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 16,520
  • screenshot 2 menu.jpg
    screenshot 2 menu.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 423
  • screenshot 3 item.jpg
    screenshot 3 item.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 393
  • screenshot 4 backup.jpg
    screenshot 4 backup.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 379
  • screenshot 5 restore.jpg
    screenshot 5 restore.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 387
  • screenshot 6 settings.jpg
    screenshot 6 settings.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 431
  • screenshot 7 help.jpg
    screenshot 7 help.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:

frapel

Licensed User
Longtime User
My APKs 1.4 update - backup your phone/tablet apps (WITHOUT ROOT)

A new release of My APKs is ready: My APKs 1.4 on Google Play

What's new in this version:
* now load system apps without restart
* added uninstall app feature (thanx to Christian Ponis)
* added app settings feature
* added history feature
* light improvements to user interface

Please LIKE on Facebook and +1 on Google Plus and share My APKs. Thank you.

Suggestions are always welcome.
Francesco

JesseW

Licensed User
Longtime User
frapel, first of all, this app looks fantastic! But I am in agreement with NJDude, the settings screen needs bigger fonts or a facelift. But wow, what an app! When I finally get to taste my Ice Cream Sandwich, I will definitely use this!!

:sign0188:

If you'd like a suggestion: I'm not sure if it's possible without root or not, but the ability to backup each app's data would be awesome! In the list of apps, each app could have a checkbox, so you could choose which apps backup their data and those that do not. Then, internal app data, as well as data on the sdcard, could be backed up and restored when the apps are restored.

Again, good job on the app :)

frapel

Licensed User
Longtime User
frapel, first of all, this app looks fantastic

JesseW, thanx a lot for your appreciation !!!

But I am in agreement with NJDude, the settings screen needs bigger fonts or a facelift.

About the settings screen, probably a facelift would solve fonts clarity on all device (but at the moment its priority in todo list is low)... I've not this issue 'cause my main device is a Galaxy SII which has a wonderful display ;)

If you'd like a suggestion: I'm not sure if it's possible without root or not, but the ability to backup each app's data would be awesome!

To backup app data (read) root is not needed, but to restore app data (write) root is requested. Actually, My APKs is oriented to work with devices non-rooted targeting users with low experience, and so allowing them to do backup and other operations in a very easy way.

In the list of apps, each app could have a checkbox, so you could choose which apps backup their data and those that do not. Then, internal app data, as well as data on the sdcard, could be backed up and restored when the apps are restored.

I'm projecting a Pro variant of My APKs, with a totally new UI, which will allow to select and work with individual apps in the list, multiple apk sharing (via bluetooth, email, skype, google drive, dropbox and so on), detailed reports, automatic service backup and eventually operations allowed on rooted devices (app data backup and restore)... features list is very long.

The only thing not yet clear to me is if to distribute the Pro version as a payed app (about 1,3 € max) or leave it free. What do you think about that?

Thank you again
Francesco

JesseW

Licensed User
Longtime User
JesseW, thanx a lot for your appreciation !!!
The only thing not yet clear to me is if to distribute the Pro version as a payed app (about 1,3 € max) or leave it free. What do you think about that?

Thank you again
Francesco

My market app, Recap (an app for truck drivers), comes in two flavors, Recap and Recap+. Recap is bare basics, and the + version has almost all the requested features that require no permissions. And like yours, they are both free with no ads. When I get around to finishing Recap Pro, it will include the rest of the requested features and I will charge $1.99 for it. My way of thinking is if I do it for me and share it with you, I don't charge, but if I make it for you, I'll charge a little for my time. Hope that helps.

On a different note, there is a Preferences activity code module available here by Erel, and I believe it is for making settings screens, so you wouldn't have to build it from scratch.

Keep up the good work!
Jesse

frapel

Licensed User
Longtime User
My way of thinking about sharing is very similar to your. I made My APKs exactly as I wanted and totally for myself... no banner, no price :cool:

Your suggestion on Preferences activity code module is welcome, but I've already read many threads on this forum and the final conclusion is that if I use that module I will not have total control of that activities (the preferences ones)...

But don't worry I will catch a better solution (soon I hope) :BangHead:

best regards
F.
:sign0089:

JesseW

Licensed User
Longtime User
Franky, I backed up my apk's in anticipation of the new ics 4.0 update, but I can't find the option to restore them once updated and reset/wiped... maybe I'm blind :)

frapel

Licensed User
Longtime User
Franky, I backed up my apk's in anticipation of the new ics 4.0 update, but I can't find the option to restore them once updated and reset/wiped... maybe I'm blind :)

Jesse, sorry for my late reply but I'm very busy at this time :BangHead:

you're not blind, there isn't (yet) an option to auto restore backupped apks...

frapel

Licensed User
Longtime User
My APKs 1.5 update - backup your phone/tablet apps (WITHOUT ROOT)

My APKs reaches 1.5: My APKs on Google Play

* now twice back key terminates the app
* now uninstall removes backupped apk (on confirmation)
* now no reload after uninstall
* added notification area icon/status and its option
* added refresh feature (useful to force reload list after new app installation)
* added flags information in apk detail
* added option to switch to light theme
* fixed list sorting

frapel

Licensed User
Longtime User
My APKs 1.6 update - backup your phone/tablet apps (WITHOUT ROOT)

My APKs 1.6 introduces the RESTORE feature !!!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.frankygoes.myapks

I need 30 LIKEs on droidiani facebook page to get statistics, could someone help me ? Thanx in advance.

* added restore backupped apk with selection feature
* added search on the market (play) feature
* added option to manage (silently) backupped apk on uninstall

frapel

Licensed User
Longtime User
MY APKS REVIEWED BY TOP MAGAZINE PCPROFESSIONALE IN THE BEST 100 APPS (Aug 2012)

I'm very excited to say that My APKs got a place among THE BEST 100 ANDROID APPS in the review of a top italian information technology magazine PC PROFESSIONALE (August 2012).

Here an article's extract (My APKs logo is notable on the second row):
100 Apps imperdibili | PC Professionale

I would like to thank you, Erel and all of you guys on this forum, for your support, suggestions, criticism. Without your contributions my app would not be the same as now (7 releases in a couple of months !!!).

Best regards,
Francesco

Dominex

Licensed User
Longtime User
I tried your app, I like it, but I would like to give you some suggestions.

In the settings:
- "Show icon in notification area", I would put the default "no".
- I would add the option to only Portrait orientation. This would help to avoid unnecessary refresh for guidance involuntary.

Another tip that I think is very important to give the possibility to choose which form to store the name of the apps. For example I like the name plus the version (type: nomeapp_1.09), I do not think there is also a package.

Finally, it would not hurt to pick up only a portion of apps. Who cares really save ALL the apps. :eek:

frapel

Licensed User
Longtime User
I tried your app, I like it, but I would like to give you some suggestions.

In the settings:
- "Show icon in notification area", I would put the default "no".
- I would add the option to only Portrait orientation. This would help to avoid unnecessary refresh for guidance involuntary.

Dominex, suggestions are always welcome, so I thank you.

Another tip that I think is very important to give the possibility to choose which form to store the name of the apps. For example I like the name plus the version (type: nomeapp_1.09), I do not think there is also a package.

The actual structure of the app names avoid collisions because the android name of a package is unique while we could have two applications with the same app name (as an example try to give a look at Angry Birds family: Angry Birds, Season, Rio, and Space).

Finally, it would not hurt to pick up only a portion of apps. Who cares really save ALL the apps. :eek:

I think the same, me too I do full backup every time. Moreover My APKs allow user to do incremental backup by choosing collision mode to SKIP in settings (this way already backupped apps will be skipped and new installed apps will be added to the existing backup).

Further, in the next months, I will release a pro version of My APKs that will allow user selection of the apps.

Last edited:

jeeradate

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you, I install it and during the test.
So far I cannot backup to extSDcard.

Last edited:

jeeradate

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, could you explain more in detail what is your case ? Which kind of device you own and how is configured ?

Thank you in advance.

I have Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. The application is working fine but I wish it should backup to External SD Card. Just in case my hardware is fail to operate, I still have all applications in removable SD card.

Would you please store the backup in extSdCard not sdcard as the sdcard is an internal SD card which cannot access when the machine is fail to operate.

frapel

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. The application is working fine but I wish it should backup to External SD Card. Just in case my hardware is fail to operate, I still have all applications in removable SD card.

Would you please store the backup in extSdCard not sdcard as the sdcard is an internal SD card which cannot access when the machine is fail to operate.

My APKs already allows user to choose the location where backupped apk (and report) will be stored. If you do MENU -> SETTINGS -> FOLDER WHERE BACKUP AND REPORT WILL BE STORED a folder selection dialog will show, there you can select the external sdcard or any other location you prefer. Next backup will use the new location you set (then you may erase old backup folder).

For example, on my Galaxy SII too there are both internal and external sdcard exactly like in your Galaxy Note. Me too I prefer to backup apk into the external sdcard, so in My APKs settings (as I explained above) I configured the location as:

/mnt/sdcard/external_sd/My_APKs

Hope this will help you.
Best regards

frapel

Licensed User
Longtime User
My APKs 1.7 update - backup your phone/tablet apps (WITHOUT ROOT)

A new release of My APKs is ready: My APKs 1.7 on Google Play

My APKs 1.7 has been released, mainly to clarify the usage of notification icon: the icon is persistent, if user enables it in SETTINGS, even after the exit from the app. This is a normal behaviour. After the exit the app is totally terminated and removed from memory (even if the icon persists in notification area). Now to help user to understand in which state My APKs is, the notification message will report "(ready)" if the app is loaded in memory and "(not in memory)" if the app is fully stopped (but the notification icon remains to allow user a quick run of My APKs). Hope this new release and explanation will avoid more negative comments on app page.

* added total number of apk in restore dialog
* changed notification area icon/status messages and default setting

frapel

Licensed User
Longtime User
Getting and normalizing file size

This is a short tutorial about one of the techniques I've used in My APKs when retrieving the size of an apk package file.

B4X:
Sub normalizeDimension(bytesDimension As Long) As String
   Dim dimension As String

If bytesDimension < 1024 Then
      dimension = bytesDimension & " bytes"
   Else If bytesDimension > 1023 AND bytesDimension < 1048576 Then
      dimension = NumberFormat2(bytesDimension / 1024, 1, 1, 0, False) & " kb (" & bytesDimension & " bytes)"
   Else
      dimension = NumberFormat2(bytesDimension / 1048576, 1, 1, 0, False) & " mb (" & bytesDimension & " bytes)"
   End If

Return dimension
End Sub

'this code will retrieve (and possibly normalize bytes in kylobytes or megabytes) the size of a file
Dim sizeOfAFile as String
sizeOfAFile = "size of example.txt: " & normalizeDimension(File.Size("/somePath", "example.txt"))

Merry Christmas to everybody :D
Francesco