Android Tutorial My emulator runs fast and smoots as a phone

I never saw any references here to the X86 AVD's with GPU support. Is this common knowledge? Or maybe not everyone DOES know? It took a while to set up, but the result is extremely cool.

The emulator is no longer slow, graphics are smooth! In short the emulator runs very VERY much like a normal phone!

However I learned there are some steps to take, maybe I can share:

- Check for latest OpenGL drivers at OpenGL website
- Download X86 version of Android 4.0.3 in SDK manager
- Download and Install Intell HackX (MUST!)
- Enable Intel virtual execution mode in BIOS (MUST!)
- Setup a new 4.0.3 Emulator in AVD mgr
- Create new parameter for GPU=yes

Without HackX + Virtual exec + GPU the X86 emulator will be of little speedgain. But with everything in place...WOW!!! Your emulator runs at the speed of a mobile phone!

Good luck, Bas

njesus

Licensed User
Longtime User
could you please elaborate on this? I'd like to try it, but i'be seen little detail on the web.

possibly at least a couple of links for the software involved? thanks!

mrossen

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is this tutorial made for windows?

It seems to me that you are running a virtual box under MAC?

Please explain this a bit more.

Mogens

Bas Hamstra

Licensed User
Longtime User
Here is the link and some replies

Intel releases native x86 Android 4.0 emulator for faster app debugging | The Verge

And be sure to read the replies in this link too!

I posted Intel HackX but that should read Intel HAXM, follow the leads in the replies to the link. It's a little tool you need to download and install. And now some replies to you:

- No, nothing to do with Mack
- No, it's NOT a virtual box, regular SDK manager X86 download
- I guess it's for Intel chips only (not sure)
- Not every BIOS will support Virtual execution (with HAXM)
- YES IT WORKS!

Be sure to SPELL the replies in the link, got me up and running in no time!

Good luck!

Bas

KitCarlson

Licensed User
Longtime User
I got it going too. It is faster. Game example run fast and smooth.

Skipped using OpenGL.

I found that the java sdk manager does not install the HAXM, however it indicates "installed".

The HAXM installer was found in the android-sdk > extras > intel > ... directory, and installed from there. The location can be found by hovering the cursor in the jave sdk manager over the HAXM near the bottom of list.

Last edited:

Rusty

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is there anyway the emulator can be used "standalone"?
In other words, I'd like to send my .apk to someone to test, but they want to test it on an Windows PC emulator instead of an actual Android device.
They do not have a development environment (b4a) or other, just a PC and (hopefully) an emulator and my software.
Thanks,
Rusty

Last edited:

Bas Hamstra

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sure

Ok, I assume they have a working emulator. What I find simple and fast is save the APK to a Dropbox folder. Then, on the device or from the emulator, open dropbox, double click the APK to install.

(btw your question has little to do with the original post)

Bas

Rusty

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks.
Sorry if it did not apply, it appeared to me that since the thread was about x86 emulators and I am trying to use x86 emulator on and x86 machine, that is was germane. Forgive me if I was incorrect in this assumption.
To your point, it appears that the emulator can run standalone you merely have to open the APK, you are not required to compile/run to the emulator.
Good advice! Thanks again.
Rusty

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, I got this working and yes it is much faster. Thank you!

Is there a way to have X86 running as Android 2.2 emulation?

njesus

Licensed User
Longtime User
Indeed, I got it working, but it's only available for APIs that has Intel x86 Atom images...

Inman

Licensed User
Longtime User
Have any of you tried running an emulator for a 10" tablet at 1280x800 resolution? How is the experience?

mangojack

Licensed User
Longtime User
Have any of you tried running an emulator for a 10" tablet at 1280x800 resolution? How is the experience?

If anyone else is interested.... now launching above pad in 35 secs. usage is comparable to a real device. Wish I had hit this post a lot earlier.

Cheers mj

Rusty

Licensed User
Longtime User
Take a look at BlueStacks. This emulator is as fast as a real device.