Games My few past things...

Dabzy1978

Licensed User
Not Anywhere Software related, but over the years, I've built various games on various platforms, from an Amstrad 6128, to iOS... Though lots of code has gone, or some stuff cannot be rebuilt due to libs being abandoned/disappearing, languages hitting the wall or superseded by other products, I still have a few things laid about (I'm the worlds worst back up merchant), so I'll plonk them here for people to have a play... Here's a couple of iOS games I wrote and released, which are now built for Windows:-

Nags Heed Darts

http://www.dabzy.co.uk/files/games/NHD.zip

Note the "Heed" bit, that's not a typo, it's actually how I say "head" due to my thick North-East accent... It's based on the old 8-bit game 180, but for fingers! :D Made me a few quid this one over the year it was on the App Store.

Next up...

Logic Battleships

http://www.dabzy.co.uk/files/games/LB.zip

Battleship Solitaire, and no, not the card game every dev and his dog has been releasing over on Big Fish Games... Its just a puzzle Battleship game, and yeah, this did well as well for the effort. Bit surprised Hasbro never pulled it from the App Store mind, for obvious reasons.

Fruit Flips

http://www.dabzy.co.uk/files/games/FF.zip

This one is unfinished, and likely never to be. I fancied writing a match-3 game, and came up with this... Unfortunately while developing it, I ended up getting divorced, and I put it on the back burner, and in all honesty, I've never fancied finishing it, but, how far I got, I think it came out well, needed a bit more love and tuning, but nah, reminds me of being torn in half so, its getting left, lol!

Croco Magneto

http://www.dabzy.co.uk/files/games/croco/croco.html

HTML5 game, a quick remake of a classic Amstrad PD game, mileage may vary on certain browsers, I've found Chrome to be the best.

A couple of other notes, while I'm here (@Erel I recommend a Introduce Yourself Thread, that'll be nice! :))... I wrote a game called Asteroid Dodge and released it on Google Play, Atari sent me a C&D letter threatening me, and thus, after a lot of tooing and frooing, the bullies won and I had to take it off the store.

I put it up on game jolt as a flash game: https://gamejolt.com/games/asteroid-dodge/22382 But, cannot seem to get it to play anymore on my browser, even with Flash enabled... I'm amazed it's still there if I'm honest.

Erm, I also built a thing called Bamboo Basic that takes in a BASIC type language and spits out PHP, cos lets face it, PHP is awful (I'm having to use it server side with a B4A app I'm working on, and I bloody hate that bit!), anyway, here's the link if you fancy a peek:-

https://sourceforge.net/p/bamboobasic/code/ci/master/tree/

EDIT: The built project: http://www.dabzy.co.uk/files/games/BB.zip

You need to have LAMP/WAMP setup on your computer to test any things you try (There is some samples), there isnt any docs anymore, so, you'll have to find your way! :D

It might not be the proper way to do it, lol, but it worked! :D hehehe

So yeah, that's me, I have other gamey related stuff laid about, but, either they wont build, or I've lost the libs they needed, and I'm just plain bone idle to fix them! ;)

Dabz

Last edited:

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Not read your whole post as am at work. But quick high five for the 6128 reference. I had one too, used to love playing harrier attach, roland in time, and tapping in type ins from Amstrad Action magazine.

Dabzy1978

Licensed User
Cheers Andy! ;)

And ahhhhh, I recognise the name (And your domain), hows it going?

I've been away from programming for a bit now, tinkered on and off with a few bits and bobs, but had no real heart in it for a good few years, the older I'm getting, the more I'm venturing outside see! :D

Though, I fancied building an app for golf (Yeah, theres loads out there on app stores, but wheres the real fun in that, and I can make it exactly how I want), anyway, B4A looked just the jobbie mind, and it is, excellent piece of kit this mind after delving in... There's literally nowt it wont let you do, the only disappointment I have is there is no library that will make me cups of tea! :D hehehe

After this, I'll have a look at the game dev side of it, I think a Logistic remake will be an easy one to tease me into it:-

25690-ingame-Logistic.png

Its a devil of a puzzler, I used to love it! :)

Dabz

Dabzy1978

Licensed User
Oh wow... That looks handy mind! :)

I'll use that on my next little jaunt into running a back end whatsit, as I'm pretty deep in the server side code now, so I'll just put up with PHP for the moment! :D

But thanks for the heads up LucaMs, much appreciated! ;)

Dabz

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
For the asteroid dodge game, why not just rename it and release it anyway? Game concepts aren't protected by copyright so they can't do anything about it, only the name is copyright (and that's not that strict given my games on the store).

I'd like to remake an Amstrad Game called Code Name Mat if you remember that one, that or spindizzy.

For games on B4a, I'd highly recommend using the LibGDX library, or the new bitmap creator stuff Erels working on, I've not had a chance to look at that yet, but it's cross platform so it tempting.

Dabzy1978

Licensed User
For the asteroid dodge game, why not just rename it and release it anyway?

Yeah, its been mentioned, but, I'm happy to let it go, it was a freeware game anyway, the thing is, the gameplay was nothing like their IP, yeah, graphically it was the same, and it used the same English word in the title, but it wasnt a classic Asteroid rip... Never mind though, live and learn! ;)

Code Name Mat if you remember that one, that or spindizzy

Spindizzy, a legend of a game, I saw a remake of it being done at RetroRemakes, it looked lush, but I dont think they ever finished it, which was a shame... Code Name Mat, I dont recall the name, but when googling it, I recognise the game mind.

LibGDX library

I've used that in the past, I made a small columns clone with it, just for a play, and it is a nice lib, but I'll probably stay native within B4A and check out Erels new stuff, much easier when it comes to support when things dont play well (And with my monkey at a typewriter programming style, that happens a lot, lol)

Dabz

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Spindizzy on the C64 ruled but the map is darn huge.

Easy looking game but not that easy to create as it ain't a pure flat isometric maze. it also has lifts etc.

Dabzy1978

Licensed User
it also has lifts etc.

As soon as I read that I could hear the "dink dink dink" noise they made! :D

Easy looking game but not that easy to create as it ain't a pure flat isometric maze.

I've never tried to make a isometric game, but I do like the isometric style mind, like Populous, the Strike series, SimCity etc etc

When they moved them over to true 3D, I think they lost their charm a bit.

Dabz